Overwintering Suggestions for Cactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
HolyGoat

Overwintering Suggestions for Cactus

Post by HolyGoat »

Hello everyone! This is my first post, I'm glad to have found such a robust community!

I have this cactus (see the link below the image if it doesn't come up) that I have yet to ID (have always just assumed an Echinopsis or Echinocactus, but maybe someone who knows way more than me knows better) and I am trying to figure out the best way, or if I should even bother trying, to overwinter it. It had an absolutely amazing growing season this summer (almost doubled in size!, which after only ever killing them was huge!). I do have a cool, dark closet I could keep it in if need be. Should stay lower than 10 C and almost no light all winter. From other threads I have read, that seems to be just about the right conditions, I think.

As it is now, it is quite content, still growing a bit even into the cold months here in British Columbia. I have it inside with all my other plants under a SunBlaster 48" 6700 Lumen LED grow-light with (the new kind with the 90 degree output). Due to the tropical plants I want growing all year, they all stay on a decently long photoperiod (about 12 hours at the moment, longer in the summer) and around 15-20C.

Now, as I understand it, that photoperiod and temperature will keep it growing slowly all winter (that's how it went last winter, after we first got it), but may not be the best overall for its health? Not knowing about the species, it's hard to find any specific answers, but that's part of why I'm interested in overwintering, to try to get it to bloom. I'm doing the same with my Christmas/Thanksgiving Cactus.

Any suggestions? I'm hesitant to do anything different as it seems really happy. But also want to make sure it's as happy as possible! Thanks for any advice, and sorry about the walls of text. :P

Last edited by HolyGoat on Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anttisepp

Re: Overwintering Suggestions for Cactus

Post by anttisepp »

Hello! Pechycereus pringlei, very simple species. It's brother P. pecten-aboriginum is more warmth-demanding, but this one overwinteren many winters at about 10C with very poor artificial light.
PS Plant them separately, very large/huge plant.
HolyGoat

Post by HolyGoat »

Thank you for the reply!

I definitely think I can manage around 10C with little to no light in my storage closet.

On that last note though, all 4 of the cacti are connected at the base, just under the soil. So there's no real separating them. Maybe the picture isn't the best angle. I'll update the original post with another. Unless you mean I should chop and reroot each individually. Thanks again for your response!
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Don't separate them until spring. It never ceases to amaze me how anttisepp and others on here identify cactus. I actually have one and didn't realize it was the same as yours :roll: But as he says,they get HUGE. They grow very slowly. But you will have to separate them sooner or later,and early next spring would be the time.
HolyGoat

Post by HolyGoat »

Wow, no kidding! I saw the pictures of the large, wild ones and thought "no way!", but then saw some pictures of them sold in 5cm pots and it looks identical to mine when I got it. I am quite impressed!

I'll definitely get on separating them this spring then. Is it worth overwintering it then, or should I just leave it where it is happy for now and then try for blooms next time once they're separated. Or is letting it grow all winter not an ideal situation for it.
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

All cacti experience seasonal weather changes and desert species in particular experience periods of dry, cool(er) weather every winter season. You should mimic this conditions in order to grow healthy, natural-looking plant. It is known that specimens kept in same conditions all year around tend to loose their vitality and become susceptible to diseases.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

It's commercial bunch, trust me.
HolyGoat

Post by HolyGoat »

Thanks so much for the info and suggestions, I'll move it to the storage for the winter as suggested! In particular, thank you anttisepp for the ID. I *definitely* would not have gotten there myself!
7george

Post by 7george »

I doubt this cactus will be willing to grow during winter months because it's heat lover. Just don't water it at all till April or spring comes there. Dark places are not good for cacti. If you have a corner or spot where temps do not go often above 20 C put it there even with minimum light. I know usually there are no unheated rooms in canadian houses but often windowsills, corners around walls and under bey windows away from heating vents are good for wintering.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ossy96

Post by ossy96 »

It is good to put It to cold to have dormancy, but i think it won't bloom because it didnt reached maturity, maybe it needs to become more columnar, like 25 years +
Son: dad i want a dragon for my birthday
Dad: ask me something more realistic
Son: ok then i want some Consolea falcata seeds
Dad: what colour do you want your dragon to be?
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

I live in midwest USA where it's too cold to leave cactus out all winter. I overwinter my cardon in a Cool unused bedroom. There is afternoon sunlight,but not all that bright. ( Actually I probably have almost 100 cacti in there). I give them little sips of water with a turkey baster sparingly once a month to keep the roots going. Been overwintering that way for a long tome with good results.
HolyGoat

Post by HolyGoat »

ossy96 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:18 am It is good to put It to cold to have dormancy, but i think it won't bloom because it didnt reached maturity, maybe it needs to become more columnar, like 25 years +
Yeah, that's a really good point. Originally, I thought it was some sort of smaller variety that stay small like this rather than the absolute giant it actually is. I'll table the flowering project for a decade or two! :lol:
HolyGoat

Post by HolyGoat »

FredBW wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:52 am I live in midwest USA where it's too cold to leave cactus out all winter. I overwinter my cardon in a Cool unused bedroom. There is afternoon sunlight,but not all that bright. ( Actually I probably have almost 100 cacti in there). I give them little sips of water with a turkey baster sparingly once a month to keep the roots going. Been overwintering that way for a long tome with good results.
Great to hear you have had success with that! I think I found a good solution in my little apartment. The window in the spare bedroom is covered half-way with tin-foil (it gets absolutely sweltering in there during the summer) that I just leave up all year as the room is largely unused. So it gets a bit of early sun at an angle and stays fairly cool. Should work well for this winter, though given how big these guys are going to get, I may have to figure out a more permanent solution for overwintering them. Luckily, our winters are generally very mild, so I actually might be able to figure something to keep them outside in all but the deepest freezes.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in! I am feeling much more confident about this guy's overwintering now.
7george

Post by 7george »

Luckily, our winters are generally very mild, so I actually might be able to figure something to keep them outside in all but the deepest freezes.
Like these days, ha? We are staying in -30s C 4 days already...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Even Vancouver Island is pretty frigid right now - but nothing like Calgary!
Spence :mrgreen: