What are you sowing?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Fatich

Re: What are you sowing?

Post by Fatich »

Nino_G wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:12 pm @ Fatich - I see you are also Tubinicarpus fan :wink:
Yes i like them too.
I love tiny plants! :mrgreen:
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Any special treatment for;
Maihueniopsis mandragora
Pterocactus araucanus
Pterocactus megliolii
Puna bonnieae
Toumeya papyrancantha
?
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I got my ADBLPS order in the mail a couple days ago. I will be sowing the winter growers soon!

Echinocereus adustus v. roemerianus
Epithelantha unguispina fa. cryptica VM_635 > Castaños/COAH/Mexique
Frailea phaeodisca v. heliosa CS_713.1_363 > SE Isla Patrulla 236m/Uruguay
Mammillaria roemeri
Mammillaria pennispinosa v. nazasensis SB_489 > Rodeo/DUR/Mexique
Mammillaria scheinvariana
Pediocactus peeblesianus
Turbinicarpus saueri v. septentrionalis PP_1363 > Mina/Monterrey/NL/Mexique
Turbinicarpus lophophoroides > Rio Verde/SLP/Mexique
Turbinicarpus graminispinus
Turbinicarpus jauernigii

Aloe polyphylla
Bulbine bruynsii JAA_2301 > Kotzesrus
Bulbine fallax JAA_2168 > Balkoonkolk/RSA
Bulbine hallii JAA_2220 > Kommagas
Cyrtanthus spiralis > Redhouse/RSA
Lachenalia zebrina JAA_2246 > N. Vanrhynsdorp
Pelargonium caroli-henrici JAA_1761 > Moedverloor
Pelargonium hystrix JAA_1138 > Matjiesfontein

I'll also be trying my hand at sowing some bog plants, all native to the States.
Iris versicolor
Sarracenia sp. (open pollinated rubra, purpurea, flava, leucophylla, minor)
Sisyrinchium californicum
Viola lanceolata
Xyris sp.
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

ohugal wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:12 pm You sow in a heated propagator and with artificial light? Do you mind sharing some details? I'm pretty new to sowing, but intend to sow Turbinicarpus on a yearly basis.
Sorry for the late response Ohugal. Yes, I propagate all of the seeds in an unused terrarium (150x50x50cm) equiped with combination of regular household linear LED lamps and "Grow light" LED lamps (I use SF 300 variety). Temperature rises to 30C during the day and drops to 20C during the night. Photoperiod is regulated via timer and set to 14 hours of light. I don't use secondary heat sources, all of the heat during the day is generated by the light sources. Night time temperatures is equal to the ambient temperature of the room the propagator is kept in.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:57 pm Any special treatment for;
Maihueniopsis mandragora
Pterocactus araucanus
Pterocactus megliolii
Puna bonnieae
Toumeya papyrancantha
?
I've just sown some Pterocactus seeds from Elisabeth & Norbert Sarnes (P. australis & P. fischeri). I sterilized the seeds with a hydrogen peroxide solution for about 20 to 30 minutes. I can't recall the percentage, it was either 1% or 3%. Germination temperature was 26°C during the day and 17°C at night. My soil mixture is 50% pumice, 30% quartz grit, 10% akadama and 10% worm castings (wormenmest in Dutch). Particle size is about 2/3 mm. Light intensity at germination was 5000 lux which is increased by a 1000 lux each week after germination. I think I had some issues last time with too strong artificial light, so I increase it bit by bit this time. Germination rates are: P. australis = 20%, P. fischeri = 50%. The soil wasn't sterilized, rather I soaked it in a solution of Trichoderma harzianum & Streptomyces nigrescens. I still had it lying around and is about to expire in 2024. No issues so far what that is concerned. They're in the propagation chamber for about 2 months now.

I haven't sown the species you mentioned, because the seeds are yet to arrive somewhere in January. These are the notes I made in preparation:
NOTES ON TOUMEYA, ECHINOMASTUS & MAIHUENIOPSIS

NIGHTTEMP.: 17°C

DAYTEMP.: 28-40°C

DAYLENGTH: 13-14h

STERILIZE: 50% WATER + 50% BLEACH, 20’
SCARIFY: Needle puncture just above hilum.
I might subject the Pterocactus seeds from ADBLPS to higher temperatures as well to see what happens. I've read a few articles on germinating Echinomastus and Sclerocactus. One can go very far in the efforts to germinate these and care for them afterwards. I'll keep it simple for now and see what happens. I have no experience with these species and it's only my second year of sowing. I'm not experienced whatsoever.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

ohugal wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:57 pm Any special treatment for;
Maihueniopsis mandragora
Pterocactus araucanus
Pterocactus megliolii
Puna bonnieae
Toumeya papyrancantha
?
I've just sown some Pterocactus seeds from Elisabeth & Norbert Sarnes (P. australis & P. fischeri). I sterilized the seeds with a hydrogen peroxide solution for about 20 to 30 minutes. I can't recall the percentage, it was either 1% or 3%. Germination temperature was 26°C during the day and 17°C at night. My soil mixture is 50% pumice, 30% quartz grit, 10% akadama and 10% worm castings (wormenmest in Dutch). Particle size is about 2/3 mm. Light intensity at germination was 5000 lux which is increased by a 1000 lux each week after germination. I think I had some issues last time with too strong artificial light, so I increase it bit by bit this time. Germination rates are: P. australis = 20%, P. fischeri = 50%. The soil wasn't sterilized, rather I soaked it in a solution of Trichoderma harzianum & Streptomyces nigrescens. I still had it lying around and is about to expire in 2024. No issues so far what that is concerned. They're in the propagation chamber for about 2 months now.

I haven't sown the species you mentioned, because the seeds are yet to arrive somewhere in January. These are the notes I made in preparation:
NOTES ON TOUMEYA, ECHINOMASTUS & MAIHUENIOPSIS

NIGHTTEMP.: 17°C

DAYTEMP.: 28-40°C

DAYLENGTH: 13-14h

STERILIZE: 50% WATER + 50% BLEACH, 20’
SCARIFY: Needle puncture just above hilum.
I might subject the Pterocactus seeds from ADBLPS to higher temperatures as well to see what happens. I've read a few articles on germinating Echinomastus and Sclerocactus. One can go very far in the efforts to germinate these and care for them afterwards. I'll keep it simple for now and see what happens. I have no experience with these species and it's only my second year of sowing. I'm not experienced whatsoever.

I've never heard of using Trichoderma harzianum, or Streptomyces nigrescens for seed starting. May I ask what prompted you to use these?

I've had the best success with Echinomastus using ambient Summer conditions here in AZ.
I just recently ordered some Sclerocactus seed. Having never tryed them, I'm going to use the same method as I've used with Toumeya and Navajoa (Pediocactus).

If I have any success with the Sclerocactus this year, I may try the same method with Pterocactus and Puna. If not your solutions may be of some use. Thanks for providing all the minute details!
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

My reasoning was that, instead of sterilizing the soil, I'd make it more biologically active as opposed to a sterile soil which is more susceptible to pathogens. This is what I'm using: https://www.terraaquatica.com/beneficia ... kologic-2/ https://www.terraaquatica.com/beneficia ... eptologic/ I don't grow in baggies and my propagation chamber is not hermetically sealed. Once in a while I take a peek to see what germinated and what not. It's impractical at times. Baggies allow more control over an individual pot. A single propagation chamber fits 15 pots of 6x6x7 cm.

If you have the time it would be great to see some pictures of your progress at a certain point. I'm curious.

@NinoG: Thank you for information.
hardiness zone 8a
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Since almost all of my seedlings are in a dormant state until Spring, I'll try to remember to post some images of the species I mentioned.

I like your approach to the use of beneficial organisms, and I too am starting to employ a similar strategy. It sounds like a logical method to use for the more difficult species to get past the germination stage with continued and sustainable growth, without having to resort to grafting.
Vingames1

Post by Vingames1 »

How was your germination from ADBLPS seeds?
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

I have yet to receive them. MrXeric got seeds from ADBLPS recently. I think his list is in the same page as this reply.
hardiness zone 8a
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I haven't sowed the cactus seeds for this recent order yet, but I did sow the winter growing succulents a week ago. For the Pelargonium, all but one seed of one species has germinated. The others have just started to germinate with the exception of Aloe polyphylla (not really a winter grower but included here anyway) and Bulbine bruynsii .

I would say overall germination is good. I did a quick check of my notes from previous years' ADBLPS orders and over half of the seed packets I sowed (64 not including this recent order) had at least 50% germination, with the majority being 70-100%. Only 4 species have shown 0 germination. The old Neolloydia genus in particular has refused to germinate in all three attempts of different offerings from ADBLPS.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Vingames1 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:22 pm How was your germination from ADBLPS seeds?
Thus far I haven't started any from my last order. I almost always get a great percentage of their seed to sprout (unlike many other seed vendors). In a month or 2, they will strike out the seed which is sold out. That's a good time to place an order.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Some additions to the seeds I plan to sow, probably next week:

Aylostera pygmaea var. RH1069
Aylostera nigricans var. carmeniana MN151
Opuntia Xhumifusa
Sulcorebutia steinbachii JK106
Ferocactus glaucescens
Coryphanta gladiispina
Notocactus roseoluteus
Opuntia sp.
Aylostera kupperiana
Rebutia minuscula var. senilis DH398
Aylostera atrovirens var. pseudoritterii RH202
Aylostera iscayachensis FR1122
Aylostera fulviseta
Aylostera atrovirens var. haefneriana SL63e
Aylostera pygmaea var. diersiana RH327
Aylostera huarinensis KK978
Rebutia Xmarsoneri, red flower
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)