Some of my seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Nino_G

Re: Some of my seedlings

Post by Nino_G »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:48 pm Finding seed is either expensive, difficult to import, or too risky to gamble ordering. I'll report back if I locate a good source
Tom,
I really am not familiar with your legislative but it is a bit surprising to me that seed of a local/native species is not readily available in Arizona. Are there no specialized nurseries which grow them to produce seed?
I can give you a link to a reliable cacti seed dealership in EU which have 15 species/subspecies/varieties of Navajoa/Pediocactus peeblesiana at reasonable prices (about 7€/10 seeds), but since it's a CITES I listed species you would be obliged to pay for phytosanitary certificate and a CITES permit which is additional 118€ or 129$ + shipping costs.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Aiko wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:27 pm Seeds are indeed expensive. But not difficult to find. Many of the Czech seed lists offers Pediocactus peeblesianus. If they are willing to send some seeds in a bubble wrapped envelope (and not in a box), I am quite certain they can easily pass customs without difficulty.
Perhaps customs don't pose an obstacle in your country, but here the only country which doesn't seem to need special routing through our department of agriculture (USDA) is France (so far). Although getting a USDA permit is not that difficult, it can not only impede prompt delivery of seed, it can also have 2 drawbacks; the confusion with some inspectors about the need for a phytosanitary certificate (if they think it heeds one, they will confiscate your order), and even if they don't confiscate, they usually will bill you for their shipping charge., which further delays the process.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Nino_G wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:29 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:48 pm Finding seed is either expensive, difficult to import, or too risky to gamble ordering. I'll report back if I locate a good source
Tom,
I really am not familiar with your legislative but it is a bit surprising to me that seed of a local/native species is not readily available in Arizona. Are there no specialized nurseries which grow them to produce seed?
I can give you a link to a reliable cacti seed dealership in EU which have 15 species/subspecies/varieties of Navajoa/Pediocactus peeblesiana at reasonable prices (about 7€/10 seeds), but since it's a CITES I listed species you would be obliged to pay for phytosanitary certificate and a CITES permit which is additional 118€ or 129$ + shipping costs.
If you read my reply to Aiko, you can understand the importation obstacles which are often involved.

Unfortunately, although logically it would seem beneficial for the preservation of our native threatened species to encourage the propagation of the species from our state, the current bureaucracy overseeing our native flora and fauna (the Arizona Fish and Wildlife Conservation Office) currently doesn't encourage this clearly positive practice to be acceptable or allowable.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:38 am Perhaps customs don't pose an obstacle in your country, but here the only country which doesn't seem to need special routing through our department of agriculture (USDA) is France (so far).
Well, I do send seeds around the world including the US. And for as far as I know almost every envelope makes it safely.
The key is probably to keep things simple, a simple envelope that is not too bulky, will pass fast and easily through customs here and a few days later at the customs of the destination.

If a seed seller is not able to send seeds like this, I am sure a contact locally can order on your behalf and send things over to you. I have helped other people out this way and others have helped me out getting some seeds from the US, Australia or the UK (since Brexit), and the other way around.