Euphorbia who?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nachtkrabb

Euphorbia who?

Post by nachtkrabb »

When my plant was very young, next to 16 years ago #-o, it was diagnosed as a Euphorbia ferox. Today I realised that this is not well possible as it doesn't have enough spines.
The spines are reddish when young, later greyish. All stems I counted have 7 ribs. They start as a miniature bubble (sometimes round, somtimes elongated) & grow elongated (a bit like a column) with a ball at the end. The thinner part of the stems corks over.
According to the flowers I would that plant expect to be a male. Right? :oops:

It is not an E. meloformis or infausta, as it has too many spines for that.
Not enough spines for E.horrida or E.enopla. Besides, horrida seems to be greyish.
Euphorbia pillansii...? But here the stems seem to be growing as a ball or later as an "elongated ball" (however do you say that?). They don't seem to have that "column with a ball at the end".

Looking forward to your ideas.
Thanks,
N.
IMG_2021_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_2021_ergebnis.jpg (187.8 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
IMG_2020_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_2020_ergebnis.jpg (135.95 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
anttisepp

Re: Euphorbia who?

Post by anttisepp »

pulvinata?
pillansii?
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

...hmmm... looked at some pictures:

pulvinata has loads of leaves, this one hasn't. The leaves visible belong to it's neighbour, a Eu. cv. Cocklebur. So, definitely no.

pillansii: Do they have such explicit slender columns with a ball at the end...? Couldn't see that in the pictures available. Otherwise that would be my choice, too.

Thanks, Anttisepp. :cry:
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:24 pm pulvinata?
Hi Anttisepp, I have looked at loads of further Eu.pulvinata. They seem to be very varying, come with loads of leaves or much less so, but they all have common the looks from the top & in 99% or so htey all have seven ribs.
I think you were right after all.

Oh, and don't miss this from https://www.picturethisai.com/de/care/E ... inata.html:
Des Weiteren zeichnen sich die Pflanzen durch ihren Wuchs aus: die dicken, wasserspeichernden Blätter erinnern an Sukkulenten.
The plants are also characterised by their growth: the thick, water-storing leaves are reminiscent of succulents.

...cool...

Thank you again,
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.