Lurker No More…

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Lolavy

Lurker No More…

Post by Lolavy »

Hello Everyone!

I’ve been lurking on this forum over the last few months, as I’ve begun to build my collection of cacti and succulents.

I’ve been growing mushrooms and truffles for a few years now, but having decided to take a small break from the daily grind of growing and harvesting mushrooms, I was looking to expand my horizons as far as growing things and have quickly amassed a collection of over 75 unique cacti and succulents, and I’m currently 6 weeks into growing various cacti by seed.

I’m based in Los Angeles, CA and I look forward to learning from this knowledgeable community, and pitching in any useful tidbits I’ve learned when I can.

Cheers! \:D/
USDA Hardiness Zone: 10b
jerrytheplater

Re: Lurker No More…

Post by jerrytheplater »

Welcome to the site. How are you growing your plants? What do you have?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Welcome!
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Lolavy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:13 pm Hello Everyone!

I’ve been lurking on this forum over the last few months, as I’ve begun to build my collection of cacti and succulents.

I’ve been growing mushrooms and truffles for a few years now, but having decided to take a small break from the daily grind of growing and harvesting mushrooms, I was looking to expand my horizons as far as growing things and have quickly amassed a collection of over 75 unique cacti and succulents, and I’m currently 6 weeks into growing various cacti by seed.

I’m based in Los Angeles, CA and I look forward to learning from this knowledgeable community, and pitching in any useful tidbits I’ve learned when I can.

Cheers! \:D/
When you have the time, I would like to know what species you've chosen for your collection, and what techniques work best for your seed sowing.

Welcome
Lolavy

Post by Lolavy »

Thanks all for the warm welcome and questions about my collection! 🤗

As for seedlings, someone on one of the mushroom Discord server I participate in sent me a variety of Lophophora seeds from his collection, and so I started growing that, as well as seeds I harvested from an Echinocereus Rigidissimus I purchased in September that came with an attached fruit, 5 weeks ago. This weekend, I’ve been prepping and sterilizing seedling soil as I attempt to get further invested with seedling growing with a variety of Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Astrophytum, and Copiapoa genus seeds I’ve acquired in the last two months, as well as Obregonia Denegrii, Echinocereus Viereckii, and Pelecyphora Strombiliformis.

As for cacti and succulents, my collection spans the gamut of the Cactacea and Succulent genera with the only repeats being 5 Lophophoras (1 Caespitosa and 4x 2-3.5 cm buttons, variety unknown) and 8 Ariocarpus’ (1 Trigonus, 1 Kotschoubeyanus, and 6 Retuses). I’ve been trying to figure out how to post pictures, however I keep getting the same error message about the Board’s capacity, so I will have to figure out another way to share some images. All my plants live on my partially covered patio, and my seedlings are growing next to the patio window. Currently, I’ve been having trouble with sunburn with a few of the cacti as the sun gets lower with the season transitioning further into Fall, so I could use some tips and suggestions as to how to keep my collection safe with the transition of the seasons.
USDA Hardiness Zone: 10b
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

Welcome Lolavy,
I think the problem with the board's attachment quota has been solved by the administrator, please try uploading your pictures again.
Best regards,
Nino
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Your photos need to be less than 500 kb in size. Either host the photos elsewhere and link to them or use a photo resize tool. I use https://picresize.com/
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
7george

Post by 7george »

Currently, I’ve been having trouble with sunburn with a few of the cacti as the sun gets lower with the season transitioning further into Fall, so I could use some tips and suggestions as to how to keep my collection safe with the transition of the seasons.
Just keep plants shaded from western (= afternoon) sun by installing some mesh cloth or other type of filter around sensitive cacti.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8