Echinocereus fendleri

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
MrMatt

Echinocereus fendleri

Post by MrMatt »

I found this cactus while hiking just outside of Albuquerque. It was maybe 2.5" tall. Does this look like an E. fendleri? The ones I usually see in the area have darker, thinner, and more subtlety curved central spines. I was assuming this one is just young and/or showing some variation, but I wanted to ask here.
Attachments
Cactus.jpg
Cactus.jpg (132.63 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
greenknight

Re: Echinocereus fendleri

Post by greenknight »

Possibly Echinocereus fendleri var. kuenzleri, though it's supposed to be found in the mountains farther south. Echinocereus triglochidiatus is also a possibility.
Spence :mrgreen:
MrMatt

Re: Echinocereus fendleri

Post by MrMatt »

greenknight wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:43 am Possibly Echinocereus fendleri var. kuenzleri, though it's supposed to be found in the mountains farther south. Echinocereus triglochidiatus is also a possibility.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard E. fendleri var. kuenzleri are found in the Sacramento mountains which are a decently far south from where this one was found I wonder if its possible for it a specimen to be found so far from its known range.

I know E. triglochidiatus are highly variable but I have never seen one with such large central spines. I'm not challenging your thoughts, it is just an unusual cactus.

Are there any diagnostic characters I could look for to tell them apart? Maybe I'll have to see if I can find it again next spring and hope its blooming.