To remove or to keep, that is the question

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
loyall

To remove or to keep, that is the question

Post by loyall »

Below are two photos of a cactus that was sold to me as a Nototcactus militaris, but I believe it is more properly Parodia ottonis. My question today is about the small pup that has appeared on the side of the low stem of this plant. My initial reaction was "this good; it is starting to clump." But on reflection I think that this pup developing on the verticle surface of the side of the plant instead of at the base of the plant will not result in attractive clumping. I am therefore considering removing the pup to preserve an attractive symetrical plant. I would appreciate the opinion of other more experienced cactophiles about the future of this particular pup, and whether my impulse to remove is a good idea?
P ottonis_20230917_02.jpg
P ottonis_20230917_02.jpg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
P ottonis_20230917_04.jpg
P ottonis_20230917_04.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
greenknight

Re: To remove or to keep, that is the question

Post by greenknight »

It's so close to the soil line that you won't be able to tell the difference once it gets some size to it, this is totally normal.
Spence :mrgreen:
loyall

Post by loyall »

Hi Spence.
Not close enough to the soil line to develop it's own roots. From looking at various photos online it appears to me that pups continue to grow in the position that they start from, so that this pup will develop into a larger side stem that continues to grow sideways instead of upwards. Pups growing from stolons near the base would grow upwards, even if they cramp somewhat together. Keeping this side pup will require a larger pot very soon, and the plant, absent further pupping, will look like an upright plant attached to a plant lying on its side. To me not a very attractive look. Also without the pup I can keep this plant in a smaller pot for a considerably longer time.

Llifle.com describes P.ottonis this way, "Habit: Simple at first later usually clustering, the plants may form large clumps developing offsets on stolons which may emerge up to 20 cm away from the parent plant," My pup does not seem to fit this pattern. Another reason to consider removal.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

It seems to me you've already decided, so best to cut it off then.
IMO I would interested to see what happens next, but I'm not an experienced cactophile. :lol:
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I would wait until it's big enough to make a good cutting, at least. I think it will turn upward, but you could find out by waiting.

They do produce offsets on stolons, but also directly from the main stem. You often see them with a ring of offsets around the base, with others popping up separately from stolons.

It could develop its own roots, I've seen offsets higher than this put down roots. Anyway, there's no hurry - it isn't crowding yet. There will probably be more offsets to follow, there may be some developing below the surface even now. They're variable - it may produce few offsets, or lots of them. Only time will tell.
Spence :mrgreen:
loyall

Post by loyall »

Thanks Spence. I can count on you for down to earth advice. 🙄 Or is it down in the earth?😄