Prickly Pear Cactus Problem (Maybe)

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DrPepper

Prickly Pear Cactus Problem (Maybe)

Post by DrPepper »

Hello all first time posting so I am sorry In advance if this topic is somewhere else. So I have noticed that when I take it outside and let it sit in the sun for most of the day when I come down to bring it inside for the night it seems like it curls up. I don’t want to kill it so if I could get some tips I would greatly appreciate it.
Attachments
IMG_7251.jpeg
IMG_7251.jpeg (186.12 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
My name is Tanner and I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Steve Johnson

Re: Prickly Pear Cactus Problem (Maybe)

Post by Steve Johnson »

DrPepper wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:25 pm Hello all first time posting so I am sorry In advance if this topic is somewhere else. So I have noticed that when I take it outside and let it sit in the sun for most of the day when I come down to bring it inside for the night it seems like it curls up. I don’t want to kill it so if I could get some tips I would greatly appreciate it.
Hi DrPepper,

First of all, see this:

viewtopic.php?t=43816

Once we know your geographical location, we'll be able to give you advice appropriate to where you live. Unless you're having a problem with cactus pests (mealybugs, armored scale, etc.), the problem may be with your growing practices. We can help once we have some info on your location.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Sorry, I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I mostly keep it near a window but since it’s summer I will take it outside to get as much sun as possible and bring it in when the sun goes down. How should I go about taking care of this guy?
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

DrPepper wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:16 am Sorry, I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I mostly keep it near a window but since it’s summer I will take it outside to get as much sun as possible and bring it in when the sun goes down. How should I go about taking care of this guy?
It's probably not used to direct sun, so the pads are curling from losing moisture. Gradual exposure over time will help your cactus handle direct sun better.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with MrXeric, but don't be too concerned - Opuntias can shrivel quite a lot without harm, as long as it's still green no problem. It really needs that sun, sunburn is the only real hazard to pushing it too fast when it's not used to the hot sun. I see no sign of sunburn. See: https://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#sunburn
Spence :mrgreen:
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Should the yellow around the pad be considering?
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (49.26 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (50.45 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 2764 times