How to trigger Euphorbia flowering?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Jaybizzle

How to trigger Euphorbia flowering?

Post by Jaybizzle »

I have some small N African Euphorbias that I grew from seeds. They are growing on a balcony under lights. They are not flowering for me. How can I induce flowering? Do I need to change the photoperiod? Stop watering?

Thanks.
jerrytheplater

Re: How to trigger Euphorbia flowering?

Post by jerrytheplater »

Look at the area your plants are from. See what the photoperiod is for them. See if there are rainy seasons/dry seasons. That should tell you what you need to do.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

What species do you have? Most of them have very small unpretencious flowers. I know 2 species of Euphorbia with nice "flowers": milii and pulcherrima. Second isn't a succulent but needs some jokes to make it flowering. First usually flowers from early age, but usually all euphorbias need to gain some mass to became adult and begin to produce flowers.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Jaybizzle wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:55 pm I have some small N African Euphorbias that I grew from seeds. They are growing on a balcony under lights. They are not flowering for me. How can I induce flowering? Do I need to change the photoperiod? Stop watering?

Thanks.
I found this site very helpful, especially for my Madagascar caudex forming Euphorbia. And they have been flowering all summer long. I'm assuming you are looking to get some seeds.

https://www.euphorbia.de/
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.