I scream, you scream, everybody wants ice cream!

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
nachtkrabb

I scream, you scream, everybody wants ice cream!

Post by nachtkrabb »

If you want to promote a new product in Germany as particularly stylish or trendy, then the label must be in English. Well, I am no native speaker & that will catch your eyes. But here in the forum, it is not important, here the goal is only that you understand me. The English those advertising guys use is sometimes just too interesting. They created "Handy" as the German name for mobile phones / cell phones... =D>

Yes, I am going to try & preypare some ice cream in those forms, although I am not sure if they are ideally formed when it comes to getting the result out. I already have forms form my childhood, ie. about 50 years old. There, the forms can be attached to each other, but may be taken out of the freezer individually. Then one can hold them below flowing water to get the ice cream out of the form conveniently.
But it does look nice, doesn't it...? :lol:

But now, clear the ring for the famous ice cactus:
IMG_2081_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_2081_ergebnis.jpg (109 KiB) Viewed 11755 times
IMG_2083_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_2083_ergebnis.jpg (116.04 KiB) Viewed 11755 times
IMG_2084_ergebnis.jpg
IMG_2084_ergebnis.jpg (132.23 KiB) Viewed 11755 times
Bon apetit!
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
jerrytheplater

Re: I scream, you scream, everybody wants ice cream!

Post by jerrytheplater »

Before I saw the photo I was thinking it was a mold to form ice cream into a cactus shape. Now I see its just the handle that is in a Saguaro shape. Lolly is DaveW's English. We'd call them Ice Pops after the brand Popsicle. https://www.history.com/news/frozen-his ... e-popsicle

Lolly = Lollipop
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Jerry,
thanks for that link, interesting story. No, that idea with cactus-formed molds is too good, they didn't manage. :lol:
I was always told that "ice" is frozen water as on a lake, but what you eat is "ice cream"...? :oops:
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

More like Iced Cream. As a kid we would make Ice Cream in a hand cranked bucket device. Everybody had to have a turn cranking the machine. What it was was a cylinder where you would pour the sweetened cream. A dasher would be inserted into the cylinder. The top would go on and allow the shaft of the dasher to protrude through. That shaft would connect to a drive mechanism that spanned the larger bucket the cylinder would go in. The bucket would be filled with crushed ice and rock salt to lower the melting point. When you cranked the crank, the dasher would turn inside of the cylinder and stir up the sweetened cream. It would begin to freeze and the dasher would mix up the ice crystals into the cream mixture. Eventually, with enough turning and ice and salt, the cylinder would solidify. Then you'd take the ice cream maker apart and place the cylinder into a freezer to finish off. Then you'd eat it.

Now, after the written description, I'll search for a YouTube video. https://youtu.be/9Pj8Sx5Z8E0
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Ice lollies can be just flavored ice or ice cream - the former are generally known as Popsicles in the US and Canada (a trademark name that is used generically). or as an ice pop, whille the latter are called ice cream bars. The Posicle concept was patented by a man from San Francisco named Frank Epperson - he claimed to have accidentally invented it as an 11-year-old when he left his powdered "pop" beverage, with a stirring stick in it, on the porch one unusually cold night.
Spence :mrgreen:
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Cooooolll! 8) 8) 8)
N. :lol:
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

And Jerry, friends of mine have a similar ice cream maker with a wooden bucket & a crank and used with rock salt. The husband was apothecary & used to bring the salt home from work. It was their wedding present from one of the parents at the end o the 1960ies.
That's interesting, that the same tool is / was in use on both sides of the Atlantic, isn't it? After all, this is not just a hammer or such.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The exact origin of the hand-cranked ice cream churn is unclear, but a US patent was issued in 1843. Prior to its invention, ice cream had been beaten by hand in a large bowl set in a tub of ice and rock salt - the ice cream produced this way was much less smooth, containing ice crystals. Really not that surprising that a machine that produced superior ice cream was adopted on both sides of the Atlantic.
Spence :mrgreen: