Oh gosh -- three more!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nachtkrabb

Oh gosh -- three more!

Post by nachtkrabb »

Well, we all know that big space problem of having small space. Me too. But these days I have brought a couple of them home... Couldn't help it, although besides the Melo they are nothing fancy.

The big one in the 8.5cm-pot (3.4in) I do know: Melocactus broadwayi. It is the 2nd I have bought. For folks in Germany: You can get those nice Melos for 6€ at Hornbach these days. Not that bad, isn't it? This is why I bought another one. I am told that they are difficult to tend, or not difficult at all (see "let's grow some melos"), or... What the heck, they are so nice!

The other two in 5.5cm-pots (2.2in) I am not sure enough. The lighter looks a bit like another Parodia magnifica to me, and the other like a Fero -- but would a Fero flower at that age??? It has to be something totally different, I think.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
N.
all three -- profile
all three -- profile
IMG_1845_ergebnis.jpg (175.31 KiB) Viewed 358 times
all three -- top view
all three -- top view
IMG_1848_ergebnis.jpg (231.18 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Parodia magnifica...?
Parodia magnifica...?
IMG_1850_ergebnis.jpg (117.96 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Fero....?!
Fero....?!
IMG_1854_ergebnis.jpg (90.64 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
anttisepp

Re: Oh gosh -- three more!

Post by anttisepp »

Hello, you're right, but last is setispinus according to taste - Ferocactus, Thelocactus, Hamatocactus...
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo Antti,
thank you very much. I had never believed that such a tiny Fero (...my taste...) would already bloom.

Well, I would love to get something special like a Lophophores or at least a Parodia magnifica with bluish skin / whitish spines. But I stumble on those & they beg so nicely to be taken home that I simply can't say "no"... :lol:
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Ok, I make it Thelocactus, if Kew & desert-tropicals say so. :wink:

Has anybody something like this at home? How would I water them during winter, please? -- For summer, llifle is clear but make no suggestions if nothing or not much during a cool winter.
Thanks.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:33 pm Hello, you're right, but last is setispinus according to taste - Ferocactus, Thelocactus, Hamatocactus...
👍 I vote for Hamatocactus

#2 Notocactus warasii
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hello Tom,
thank you for looking at #2. So it's warasii & not magnifica...? Well, well, well... I don't know if anybody else remembers Hablu. He once gave me two self-grown miniature warasii. They still thrive. :shock: Hey, that was in autumn 2007 -- next to 16 years ago! :shock:
Maybe that is why the plant looked so familiar to me... But what should I do with a third one in my confined space...? #-o

I agree, Hamatocactus does sound great. I would love that. But all those organisations are against it. :? As I have to enter it into my database as a new entry, I could as well follow the fashion, couldn't I? :?

https://www.worldfloraonline.org/search ... setispinus
Hamatocactus setispinus (Engelm.) Britton & Rose
Cactaceae 3: 104. 1922.
Status:Synonym of Thelocactus setispinus (Engelm.) E.F.Anderson
Family: Cactaceae
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/tro-5103722
L Hamatocactus setispinus (Engelm.) Britton & Rose is a synonym of Thelocactus setispinus (Engelm.) E.F. Anderson
https://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn: ... s:117167-2
Hamatocactus setispinus (Engelm.) Britton & Rose
First published in Cact. 3: 104 (1922)
This name is a synonym of Thelocactus setispinus
BTW, Notocactus warasii seems to be out of favour, too. But Kew & worldfloraonline claim that it's a Parodia warasii (F.Ritter) F.H.Brandt, while theplantlist
1. itself claims to be superseded &
2. that Eriocactus warasii F.Ritter would be better.
Names come and go... :oops:
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.