How to stress a Jade plant

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
FredBW

How to stress a Jade plant

Post by FredBW »

I always see Jade plants in the store with light green leaves,and red/orange around the edges. But I have never been able to duplicate. I have brought them home like that and in a few weeks they are the normal dark green.
I have left them in the sun to the point of sunburn Let them go without water. Everywhere I read says they need to be "properly stressed".
But just how do you do that? It's obviously sunlight,because i have done it with other succulents. But I have no luck with Jade.
Any "silver bullet" to make it happen?
bbarv

Re: How to stress a Jade plant

Post by bbarv »

I have some jades exposed to the sun for the most of the day. Leaves are green (not light green) with red edges. They were slowly introduced to the full Sun. It took some time for them to change colour from dark green that they had indoors.
I’m in Vancouver Canada, our Sun is not that strong as in Kansas and temperature seldom goes above 33C.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Outdoor keeping all warm season.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

anttisepp wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:01 am Outdoor keeping all warm season.
....seems to be working with my plants. They have jade green leaves with lighter spots, often with a stripe around the edge.
They stand on a very hot garage roof with blasting sun, with only some imperfect protection during the noon hours.
During winter they share a light, cool, poorly heated place in the house as we get frost here in Germany.
Up to now they haven't flowered, but they grow well enough that I hadn't known the colour might be a problem. :oops:
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.