Hola from Panama

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
win

Hola from Panama

Post by win »

Hello guys,
we recently moved to a house from an appartment and my wife started to take me to nurserys.

I found out I was not so much interested in most plants but espcially spent a lot of time to watch the beautiful species in the cactus section. This how I developped some interest in the topic.

Right now I am just starting with a couple of locally grown cheap cactus and try to learn the basics. I think the tropical climate here which includes a lot of rain will be very challenging.

Moreover I hope to meet interesting and friendly people here that like to share useful and high quality information.

Thanks for reading
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Re: Hola from Panama

Post by Minnesota »

Hola, win,

Welcome to your latest habituation. This is a great place to ask questions and seek help. There are some very knowledgeable and experienced people that are very willing to lend a word to your issues. Searching past topics can also provide a lot of information. Then, when you find the cactus with no ID, there are some awesome people here to point you in the right direction.

Happy growing!

Bret
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
I know there's a fair amount of people who grow with wet and warm climates, some of them do exceedingly well. Hope you will as well!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Welcome Win.

You might need to think of providing overhead shelter for your plants to keep the rain off of them to allow more control on their watering. That is something I need to do as well, and haven't. Right now I move my plants into the garage if rain is forecast at the wrong time.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.