What influences flower colour?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ohugal

What influences flower colour?

Post by ohugal »

This year I've been able to provide my cacti with a cold winter's rest and a lot more sun in the growing season. As a result I've been getting more flowering plants, which makes me a very happy man. I've recently had a flowering Gymnocalycium bruchii and the flower had a beautiful pale pink colour. I compared the flower to other images of flowering G. bruchii and was wondering where the variation in intensity in flower colour comes from? Is there literature on this subject?
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
greenknight

Re: What influences flower colour?

Post by greenknight »

Mainly genetic variation.
Spence :mrgreen:
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

When visiting a grower, someone from our local cactus society told me -regarding a flowering Stenocactus- the colour of the flower was pale because it was hybridized a lot. I'm not familiar with this, but is this what you are refering to? So soil, exposure and fertilization have little infuence on the shade of colour of a cactus flower?
hardiness zone 8a
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

I agree with Spence, although I do have to wonder if different fertilizers can have an influence on flower colors. Since I recently changed from the Dyna-Gro 7-7-7 I had been using for years to a more comprehensive fert regimen (Oscar, you know what it is), this will give me the opportunity to see if there are any appreciable differences in flower colors. I haven't seen signs of that yet, but I can tell you this -- compared to the relatively high P in the 7-7-7 (N = 1, P = 0.44), lower P in the new regimen (P = 0.35) has led to more prolific flowering on some of my cacti. Those are the spring bloomers, and I'll see if the summertime bloomers do it too.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Well, it's the first year I've actually had so 'many' cacti blooming, so I can't compare to previous years. I thought (in habitat) certain enviromental parameters could trigger genetic differences. Are there studies why flowers have the colour they have?
hardiness zone 8a