Seedling Heat Mat Questions

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
zpeckler

Seedling Heat Mat Questions

Post by zpeckler »

A straightforward pair of questions....

When using a heat mat to get cactus seeds to germinate, is it better to leave it on 24hrs a day or to cycle it on and off with your grow light to mimic the natural temp fluctuations the seeds would see over the course of a day out in the real world?

Also, how old should seedlings be when you take them off the heat mat for good?

Thanks,
Zac
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
jerrytheplater

Re: Seedling Heat Mat Questions

Post by jerrytheplater »

I cycled my heat mat when I germinated Euphorbia tulearensis starting in January. I even bought a temperature controller to keep the temperature down below 80 F. I was seeing it get up to 90 at times. Inkbird is the brand. https://inkbird.com/products/temperatur ... er-itc-308

I set up another heat mat in my cold garage to get an even greater temperature swing for Pediocactus simpsonii. 80's in the day and down to freezing at night.

My Euphorbia are still on the heat mat now since we are still having cool temps. I saw four seeds of the Pediocactus germinated after I got back from 10 days in FL. Those seedlings are off the heat mat now, but I dropped the container today and I'm not sure if the seedlings will survive-bummer.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.