problem with Haworthia Cymbiformis V.Angustata

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Kuroc

problem with Haworthia Cymbiformis V.Angustata

Post by Kuroc »

For some reason this haworthia is loseing it's chlorophyll. Could this be due to a nitrogen deficiency? (if not, any idea what it could be?).I would post a pic. But for some reason my camera will not take a good pic of it. The plant still has some green left in it.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Is it getting more light than previously? Too much light will bleach the leaves.
Kuroc

Post by Kuroc »

Sigh last year it wasn't getting enough light on a south facing window. And this year on the porch where it gets about half a days sunlight it might be getting too much.

Will it get greener again if I put it inside?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I certainly claim no expertise here, but if I’m right and if your plant is still relatively healthy, then I would expect it to green up again once it was moved to a lower light area. I’m just surprised that a south-facing window wasn’t enough light for a Haworthia. What symptoms did it show that made you move it to the porch?
Kuroc

Post by Kuroc »

Well the roof of the porch was where the south faceing window was. So It wasn't getting enough light and the leaves were growing funny.
Kuroc

Post by Kuroc »

Thanks for the help Windy. :D I put the Haworthia inside by a window and it seems to be greening up some. :D
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Glad I could help. :D Good luck with it.
Kuroc

Post by Kuroc »

What me to post a pic of it? It's greened up a lot now. :D :D :D
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Sure.:) That's awfully fast for re-greening. There may be something else going on. A pic will let the real experts around here offer a better diagnosis.
Kuroc

Post by Kuroc »

Here is a pic I took today.

gduggins

Haworthia summer dormancy or slow down

Post by gduggins »

I'm certainly no expert, but most Haworthia are dormant this time of year, unless its in a cool spot. Like me, when its really hot they get lethargic and just want to sit around doing nothing...so don't water them or you'll likely kill them.

I treat most of my Haworthia like winter growing Aloes at this time of year...and only water when things look dire. I still keep them hot and in very bright sun (not full) so that they maintain the really cool coloring.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo, Kuroc,
I guess the clue to the behaviour of your plant lies in the window pane: a normal window pane absorbs most of the rays that make our skin get brown (forgot the english name). So, a little sunlight without a pane means a whole lot of difference to much light with a pane!
It is quite healthy when a Haworthia, Aloe, cactus etc.pp. turns brownish outdoors in the sun. And as normal and healthy for it to become the usual green again when moved indoors.
When I witnessed this for the first time, I got anxious too: my (during winter, indoors) light green Aloe vera is muddy brown by now in the yard, but looks quite comfortably.
Soooooooo: "Don't panic!"
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Kuroc

Post by Kuroc »

Here are some updated pics of it.

nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo, Kuroc,
you Hawortia looks happy & healthy to me. In your place I would stop worrying!
Ruth :)
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.