Mammalaria

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Aloelluja

Mammalaria

Post by Aloelluja »

Where does one find mammalMaria for cheap
greenknight

Re: Mammalaria

Post by greenknight »

Mammillarias (the spelling is tricky) are some of the most widely sold cacti, any garden center would have some of the more common species.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

The inflation made cacti quite expensive and there is no plant below $5 or so. We even do not know where you live.

The cheapest way is to propagate cacti yourself or get it from friends for free.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Check out garden centers, big box stores. They're not hard to find.

I thought this was kind of funny:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.18.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 7.18.28 AM.png (184.32 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I presume you know what Mammillaria's look like if not tagged or labelled as such, since most places selling cacti usually have some? Another way is to consult online dealers lists and buy by post, or grow them from seed, though it takes a few years but most seedsmen stock a wide range of them.

You can try the plant lists of online nurseries or dealers for your country listed on Cactus Mall, though a few links are dead. Note due to CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) it is usually impractical to import cacti from other countries, but seed usually comes OK..

http://www.cactus-mall.com/nursery.html

Or seedsmen if you want seeds.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/seeds.html
nes

Post by nes »

Recently I've been noticing a lot of the instagram "cactus influencers" have been trying to promote mammillaria's as the "new" cactus wave. Honestly, it just seems like a strategy they're doing to gouge the prices on mammillarias. Mammillarias are one of the few cacti species that you can purchase without breaking the bank but it seems cactus influencers have a plan to ruin mamms as well.
nes

Post by nes »

Also, forgot to add that about 2 weeks ago I purchased a mammillaria(or cochemeia) schumannii at a nursery for 5 dollars. About a week later I saw "cactusquest" selling the same mamm in the same nursery pot for 25 dollars. I personally recommend you find the low cost mammillarias while you can, before these sharks purchase all the nice ones and resell them for absurd prices. Or grow them from seed, which is always the best way to go now imo.
keith

Post by keith »

About a week later I saw "cactusquest" selling the same mamm in the same nursery pot for 25 dollars."

Oh that's funny I've seen him on youtube, its the new cactus people replacing the old ones.

Miles2go has nice cactus for sale including Mammillarias which can be inexpensive or very expensive depending on species.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

you don't say where you live, so how can we give you advice as to where to buy? Home Depot, Lowes. I just bought 6 Melocactus at Walmart for $4.99 each in 3" pots. Part of this hobby is exploration.
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
nes

Post by nes »

nes wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:25 pm Also, forgot to add that about 2 weeks ago I purchased a mammillaria(or cochemeia) schumannii at a nursery for 5 dollars. About a week later I saw "cactusquest" selling the same mamm in the same nursery pot for 25 dollars. I personally recommend you find the low cost mammillarias while you can, before these sharks purchase all the nice ones and resell them for absurd prices. Or grow them from seed, which is always the best way to go now imo.
Update, I saw green tough nursery in LA is now selling the same mammillaria, probably from the same original grower as it uses the same pot and is a similar size to mine. They're selling it for 45$. People are now buying it from these money hungry scammers at 800%+ of what I paid for it.
Get your seeds while you can. Not everyone in this community is kind, some people are really just in the growing business for money now.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

nes wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:05 pm
nes wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:25 pm Also, forgot to add that about 2 weeks ago I purchased a mammillaria(or cochemeia) schumannii at a nursery for 5 dollars. About a week later I saw "cactusquest" selling the same mamm in the same nursery pot for 25 dollars. I personally recommend you find the low cost mammillarias while you can, before these sharks purchase all the nice ones and resell them for absurd prices. Or grow them from seed, which is always the best way to go now imo.
Update, I saw green tough nursery in LA is now selling the same mammillaria, probably from the same original grower as it uses the same pot and is a similar size to mine. They're selling it for 45$. People are now buying it from these money hungry scammers at 800%+ of what I paid for it.
Get your seeds while you can. Not everyone in this community is kind, some people are really just in the growing business for money now.
I guess it's whatever the market bears eh? Here in Arizona prices are going crazy too! The kids from Cali come and buy a lot of stock here in Tucson, offer and demand...like you say, get your seeds and start growing your own, it is a lot of fun to watch them grow, and then you can trade with others ;-)
Alejandro
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

:shock: Maybe I should get some of my mammillaria tubercles/pups grafted to pereskiopsis!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The plants would probably be a lot cheaper at retailers if many of them were not put into fancy pots at high prices for the casual market. Therefore it is often cheaper to buy from an online dealer. I know some dealers in the UK sell the plants a lot cheaper at their nurseries or direct by post than they do when they advertise them on EBAY. One price for knowledgeable hobbyists and another for EBAY-ers, particularly if you list them as "rare"!

When I buy plants its the plant itself I am after, I do not want to buy the fancy pot and I am not really bothered if it is sent dry root without any pot at all by post.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You see some pretty common species listed as "rare" on EBay, it gets ridiculous.
Spence :mrgreen:
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

keith wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:02 pm About a week later I saw "cactusquest" selling the same mamm in the same nursery pot for 25 dollars."

Oh that's funny I've seen him on youtube, its the new cactus people replacing the old ones.

Miles2go has nice cactus for sale including Mammillarias which can be inexpensive or very expensive depending on species.
I'll second that! I've been buying most of my over 100 cacti from Miles. Excellent plants, excellent service!
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!