Where do you keep your cacti/succulents?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.

Where do you grow your cacti/succulents?

1. In the garden, in soil or pots
26%
2.in the garden and/or greenhouse
14%
3.In a greenhouse, all year round
12%
4. In a greenhouse and winterrest indoors
19%
5. Indoors only
29%

Total votes: 42
eulaspiegel

Re: Where do you keep your cacti?

Post by eulaspiegel »

One Windowsill wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:18 pm
eulaspiegel wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:18 pm
One Windowsill wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:50 pm

I haven't tried those so I couldn't say. Could they have got cold when they were being delivered?
It's very possible, I was actually worried at the time that they might arrive damaged from the cold because the nights started getting frosty. I'll just keep watering them and if they haven't started regrowing after more light hours and some fertilizer I will start to worry.

@Mrs.Green My problem is limited space, so I want to avoid growing species that grow too big.. If I can get the space to create a bigger bed for cacti I would also consider O. humifusa or the massively clustering Echinocereus species, for now small ones will have to do for the balcony box :D And thanks, spiders were one of my first interests (before I really got a deeper interest in plants).
Growing mostly under LED lights, in northern latitudes. Especially interested in stem succulents and caudiciforms. Dreaming of my first greenhouse.
Mrs.Green

Re: Where do you keep your cacti/succulents?

Post by Mrs.Green »

Surprisingly , so far the majority seems to be growing indoors , according to the poll. Quite few votes yet, I guess that’s the reason . Either that or the majority of the indoor growers don’t post much on the forum?

@Eulaspiegel; very fond of spiders too. They are more than welcome indoors. There use to be quite a few of them indoors, in the warmer months of the year. Each summer at least a couple of Araneus diadematus spins their nets among the plants in the windows. A lot of smaller species too off course but A.diadematus is bigger and easier to watch :)
Download

Post by Download »

I keep my cacti outside in summer.

For winter, it depends on the plant. Most stay outside but under shelter to stay dry. My less cold tolerant plants (Melocactus for example) go inside.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I try to get my cacti outdoors for the summers. Some need shade even then. My Madagascar Euphorbia decaryi and related species do not like full sun at all. I keep them right up against the back of my house that faces east. Just morning sun. The come inside for the winter.

I do have a few winter hardy cacti in my unheated, detached garage. Temps get down to 0F or neg 17.8 C. As long as they are bone dry, they do well. I have kept some outdoors in our cold and wet winters, but not all did well.

John Spain wrote an excellent booklet on his quest to grow cacti outdoors here in NJ and CT. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/657 ... conditions
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I grow everything outdoors all year except very young seedlings. I would love to have a greenhouse though, since I tend to have issues with scorching, especially seedlings that I'm transitioning to grow outdoors.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I said "in the garden" because there was no option for "outdoors, winter indoors", which is the accurate answer. I like to sleep in a cool bedroom, so that's where my cacti sleep as well.

I'm planning to put a clear vinyl cover on my cactus wagon, open at the ends for ventilation, so I don't have to move it under cover when it rains. I also got another wagon for Christmas, a tiny toddler-size one (I didn't know they made them that small). I plan on putting some plants that prefer partial shade in that one.
Spence :mrgreen:
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

greenknight wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:39 am I said "in the garden" because there was no option for "outdoors, winter indoors", which is the accurate answer. I like to sleep in a cool bedroom, so that's where my cacti sleep as well.

I'm planning to put a clear vinyl cover on my cactus wagon, open at the ends for ventilation, so I don't have to move it under cover when it rains. I also got another wagon for Christmas, a tiny toddler-size one (I didn't know they made them that small). I plan on putting some plants that prefer partial shade in that one.
I can’t alter the poll unfornately..I have already tried that once and all the votes disappeared then. I had to look up ‘cactus wagon’, not sure if thats a ‘ordinary’ wagon used for cacti or if it was something especially made for cacti?

I imagine yours is something like this; https://www.flickr.com/photos/pawsitive ... 8786665369 ? 😄
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

:lol: I like that one! No, I've just got an old junk kid's wagon, all rusty and the handle's broken off. Looks like something that might have been abandoned in the desert for years. It's a small one I can easily pick up and move when it's full of cacti. I lined it with styrofoam trays to keep the pots off the hot metal - I want it to provide some extra warmth in our cool weather, but not cook the plants! I move it to a spot that gets only morning sun when the weather gets very hot

It doesn't hold all my plants - here's one end of it:
20210809_160216.jpg
20210809_160216.jpg (150.35 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
<edit> In case anyone was wondering, the plant to the right of it is a Fuchsia magellanica, the dry grass is just weeds.
Last edited by greenknight on Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spence :mrgreen:
TimN

Post by TimN »

Everything outside in a shade house. A few inside in winter. And even some in the ground!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Post by Steve-0 »

My Utah natives are in ground year round in a south facing xeriscaped area next to the house masonry. Lots of hot summer sun. Those in pots spend the summers on the porch and winters inside on a window shelf. I gave away most of my South American species. The Southwest Desert species in pots are still susceptible to frost so they come inside around October and go back out in late April - early May.
During extreme heat waves in July or August, I'll move the potted cactus under the roses or other shady areas for a respite. I had up to 130F soil temps two years ago and all cactus survived it just fine. The yard soil temp was 90 F a couple of inches deep.
Attachments
Ech. Texensis &amp; Op. Polyacantha in a 5 gal planter.
Ech. Texensis & Op. Polyacantha in a 5 gal planter.
IMG_20200614_151539805_HDR.jpg (144.89 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Steve-0 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:03 pm My Utah natives are in ground year round in a south facing xeriscaped area next to the house masonry. Lots of hot summer sun. Those in pots spend the summers on the porch and winters inside on a window shelf. I gave away most of my South American species. The Southwest Desert species in pots are still susceptible to frost so they come inside around October and go back out in late April - early May.
During extreme heat waves in July or August, I'll move the potted cactus under the roses or other shady areas for a respite. I had up to 130F soil temps two years ago and all cactus survived it just fine. The yard soil temp was 90 F a couple of inches deep.
WOW!! That's hot soil.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.