Possible issue with golden ball cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Jbrennan012086

Possible issue with golden ball cactus

Post by Jbrennan012086 »

I believe this is a golden ball cactus. I bought him from lowes on clearance about a month ago. Since then I repotted with bonsai jacks cactus mix and put him in a pot about a size up. His soil prior was very compacted and hard to get off. I managed to lightly pry him after a soak and let him sit out for 2 days prior to repotting. I watered about a week after repotting. The old potting mix was literally GLUED in and if you look at him some of the spines have glue on them. Horrible thing to do to a living thing! Anyways, I have noticed some spotting on him. Not sure what it is or whats going on. I have become very attached to this little guy and hope nothing bad is going on. The roots looked healthy prior to repotting. The label said low to medium sun. I have him near a west facing window on my kitchen counter. The window has an metal awning over it. I am new to cacti and have bought a few since this guy because like I said I really love him and he has really made me appreciate the look of cacti. I have looked on the internet for a week trying to find out whats going on with no luck. I would appreciate any help I can get!!! Oh one more thing, I throughly looked him over with a magnifying glass and did not see any bugs crawling around. :-k I uploaded two pictures but there are several of these types of spots.
Attachments
20210811_041852_copy_216x288.jpg
20210811_041852_copy_216x288.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
20210814_000826_copy_540x720_1.jpg
20210814_000826_copy_540x720_1.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
Jbrennan012086

Re: Possible issue with golden ball cactus

Post by Jbrennan012086 »

I might be a bit paranoid. I have looked through this whole forum and didn't see anything that resembles my cactus ailment. The thing that concerns me is that the spots he has are white but the centers look like a hole or something. During my research I found that cactus can get burrowing insect larvae? Oh goodness. Hope thats not whats going on.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

It could have gotten stabbed by another cactus on its way from the grower to the seller. You may be seeing the healed scars.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Jbrennan012086

Post by Jbrennan012086 »

Okay. It seems to be spreading. I see a new mark all the time but perhaps because I haven't had him long it just takes a while?
Jbrennan012086

Post by Jbrennan012086 »

I was also thinking because he is on my counter maybe my husband accidently sprayed him with our method granite cleaner? We had a talk. He knows better now. My other ones are doing well but they are living in the south facing window. Do you think the west facing window with a metal canopy is enough light for him? My light meter is only reading at 53 fc. Since his tag said low to moderate light I'm assuming its okay. The forum says golden balls do not like direct light but I am not so sure its enough even though he seems to be doing well. His spikes seem bigger and he's grown hairs on top where there were none before, he also seems to have more spikes on top. To me he looks happier except for those spots but cacti seem a bit hard to grow compared to other plants Expecially in the gritty mix its so hard to tell if they are thirsty. I have some plants I have had for 10 years (I worked at a nursery in high school but oddly enough we didn't have cacti) and I only had one small scare with spider mites. I have had an aloe sidewinder for 8 years and its happy and healthy and has given me so many pups. I did do as much research on them as I could before buying them in the hopes that they will live and grow happy. Its nice to challenge yourself once in a while. I just don't want to kill them.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

It would help if you posted where you live so we can get an idea of your climate and growing conditions. This is an international forum.

I don't know how to judge light levels by foot candles. What is full sun at noon on a clear day where you live? I have some Euphorbia's from Madagascar growing outdoors on my deck facing due east. They get full sun till about 1:00 PM and then shade. They are happy. They were not happy with full sun all day long. I also have my Frailea's there since they don't do as well in full sun for me either.

If you decide to let your cacti live outdoors in the summer, you have to gently acclimate it to full sun over maybe even two weeks. Don't let him be out there once the temperatures start to get below 50F consistently at night.

Remember that cacti are slow growers and you won't see reactions to bad conditions right away, except for sunburn by too quick placing in full sun after being indoors all winter.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:29 amIt would help if you posted where you live so we can get an idea of your climate and growing conditions. This is an international forum.
Agreed -- see this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=43819
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Jbrennan012086

Post by Jbrennan012086 »

Great thanks. I will add my location to my profile (I live near Cleveland Ohio). I dont see anymore new spots so I think he's okay.
This forum is great though! Lots of really good information and that is hard to find I think!!
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

You can easily let your cacti live outdoors in the summer in Cleveland. Just acclimate to the full sun slowly.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ