MrXeric's Grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
MrXeric

Re: MrXeric's Grafts

Post by MrXeric »

C And D wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:09 pm I regrafted my D. horstii on to larger stock after a year or 2

Never was able to get one to stay alive on it's own roots from my seeds
I did have one that I bought from Jurgen Menzel on it's own roots, it lived for many years, until I repotted it the wrong time of year
Have you tried rooting cuttings? I found this old thread from someone in Arizona describing their method to root horstii cuttings: viewtopic.php?t=32894, too bad the pictures are lost. Those two grafts have been on Pereskiopsis for 2 years now, so I know that at some point I'll need to either degraft and try to root or regraft onto something more permanent.

I have 2.5 year old seedlings from the same batch I grafted from. I repotted them for the first time in almost 2 years and was glad I didn't lose any, since apparently they are temperamental when their roots are disturbed (or is that after they grow cephalia?)
C And D

Post by C And D »

I tried to root cuttings, and they didn't make it
I have seeds galore, so I will keep trying until I get it right
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

The Astrophytum myriostigma degraft finally started rooting in May.

It took 4 months to plump back up again. Here it is currently, over a year after cutting it off the graft.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Here's an update on the grafts from the first page of the original post, all grafted on Selenicereus megalanthus seedlings. These are currently about 2.5 years old on the graft.

This Astrophytum capricorne started growing spines. This is from April.

...and 5 months later. Pot is 2.5in square. The stock is mostly buried. Next year I will repot and bury the stock completely.

Mammillaria lasiacantha SB 1063.

view of the stock. Looks more yellow than it is. Might degraft next year.

Azureocereus hertlingianus. I degrafted this a couple months ago. Seems to be rooted.

This Pediocactus knowltonii SB 304 put out buds earlier in the year (pic from February). Unfortunately it aborted all of them.

I repotted it a couple months ago. Such robust roots for such a tiny stock (less than 1in long). It used to be longer, but it suffered from root rot the previous winter. I trimmed the roots to about 1/3 the length shown in the pic and potted it up completely burying the stock as an attempt to have it "degraft" on its own.

Detail of scion and stock. The scion had a pretty long "neck", which has collapsed nicely.

And here it is currently, all potted up. Hopefully I can see flowers this coming spring.

I showed this elsewhere, but here is the grafted plant (bottom) compared with an own root seedling (top) from the same sowing.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Last year I degrafted several Pereskiopsis grafts. Here's a few I haven't shown yet.

Echinopsis densispina 'rebutioides' R585A. Originally labeled by Mesa Garden as "Lobivia haematantha var. rebutioides", but that is just a synonym for E. densispina (Echinopsis in the strict sense!). I had this previously labeled as the form 'albolanata' because of the field number and the listing picture and description ("soft white spines") matched that form, but this plant is looking nothing like that.

Anyway, it was starting to rot at the graft junction so I cut it off. The rot had reached to more than halfway up the stem, so I wasn't very confident it would root. But it did! Here it is last summer after letting it callus for a few weeks (it had started to root during that time - can you spot them?)

And a year later:

potted up

I also (partially) degrafted that oddly branched Echinocactus horizonthalonius SNL 94 scion.

The larger head was pretty much at a 90 degree angle with the smaller one.

Since it was at such an awkward position, I cut it off. I was surprised to see such a brightly colored cortex. :)

A couple weeks later after drying (with root nubs!).

And a year later. Robust roots :D

All potted up

I kept the smaller branch on the graft. It has almost caught up with the degrafted one.

Last year the Epithelantha bokei SB 416 scion started to trichotomously divide, which seems to be unusual for Epithelantha.

Over the summer it was starting to collapse on one side.

I got worried so I cut it off the graft. Here it is after drying with some roots forming.

I left the graft junction intact, which ended up being a mistake. I noticed that it never plumped up, so I unpotted it early July this year to find the roots shriveled and rot at the junction callus. I cored out the rot and left it to dry.

The callus dried to this worrisome reddish color, but I've had cuttings look like this root before, and sure enough this plant did send out roots a month later. :D

Here it is potted up. I doubt it'll root well enough to plump up before the winter, so I think I'll bring this indoors under some lights to ensure survival.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Ariocarpus trigonus 'elongatus' grafted on Pereskiopsis, flowering for the first time this fall.

This is the second year this Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus 'elephantidens' has put out a female flower. Unfortunate! I pollinated it with the trigonus' pollen.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

This Mammillaria lasiacantha SB 1063 (Hipolito, Coahuila, Mexico) has flowered for the first time. It's grafted on a Selenicereus megalanthus seedling. Tiny, dainty little flower.