How dark is too dark for cacti dormancy?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
RorBurg56

How dark is too dark for cacti dormancy?

Post by RorBurg56 »

Hello all, I am currently growing with a greenhouse-less setup about 120 ish plants, many of them year round growing (for me) eches, pachyphytum, lots of senecio and alot of small euphorbia which slow down a bit in winter but don't stop completely. I have about 26 cacti which I love but which get confused more than the rest by going from an outdoor summer in Scotland where day length isn't crazy anyway to being indoor where its often warmer, light is high (I have crazy grow lights and an indoor sun garden), and often light stays higher longer because me and partner regularly stay up to 5 - 6 am. I really would like to start enforcing true dormancy on some of my plants but no room in my house is cold. There is a shed in the garden which I've cleared for other reasons. It's completely dark, cold and I thought might be too damp, but I'm considering getting dehumidifiers for it. This is all alot to ask if pitch black conditions are suitable or if I should still wait for an insulated greenhouse to overwinter plants in?
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.
7george

Re: How dark is too dark for cacti dormancy?

Post by 7george »

Well, if temps stay below 10 - 12 C even full darkness is OK for winter months. April is a spring month, isn't it?

I also have some problematic plants this time of the year because many nights are still below freezing and cacti won't stay dormant inside the house because days are long already. So I'm bringing some pots in-and-out until frost-free period begins. I guess even small GH would work just to protect from the night frosts?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Yeah things are getting better, more thinking for next year lol
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I stored bare root dormant Sulcorebutia's and Rebutia's in a box under a table for a few months. I repotted in the spring and they grew well. But, I can't remember if there were any flowering issues. Too many years ago.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You can winter them in the dark if kept cool and dry, but re-introduce them to sun gradually.
Spence :mrgreen:
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Thank you guys 🙂
Shane

Post by Shane »

I don't think keeping cacti in darkness when dormant is a good idea. I tried keeping mine in shade this winter and many died. I think cacti not needing anything when they're dormant is a myth. If you do try it, make sure to do it with plants you don't mind losing
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Shane wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:30 pm I don't think keeping cacti in darkness when dormant is a good idea. I tried keeping mine in shade this winter and many died. I think cacti not needing anything when they're dormant is a myth. If you do try it, make sure to do it with plants you don't mind losing
You're in Los Angeles, it's not cold enough in the winter there.
Spence :mrgreen: