SuffOil against spidermites- anyone who have tried it?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
One Windowsill

Re: SuffOil against spidermites- anyone who have tried it?

Post by One Windowsill »

The product you linked is not the one in the journal article. It is mineral oil based, what we used to call a "winter wash". Though winter washes for fruit trees seem to be often vegetable oil based nowadays.

The Japanese one is vegetable oil based and probably not widely available yet as the company (OAT Agrio Co.) does not even list it on their website. Mainly a pesticide manufacturer looking to diversify, I think.

Of course they would have reported any drawbacks, despite the conflict of interest. "This study was funded by OAT Agrio Co., Ltd., which employs Shimpei Noyama and Shigekazu Wakisaka."
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you One Windowsill :) Obviously I should have researched a bit more before posting the product link.. :oops: I am always on the lookout for ‘not-so-harsh’ treatments, so I got a bit excited , reading about the oil.
claudekim1

Post by claudekim1 »

i hear dusting with dt earth is one of the best ways to kill mites. as they can build superresistance to most insecticides if you dont kill them with the first few batches?. theres no way to build resistance to tiny shards of glass penetrating ur arms and legs
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

claudekim1 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 pm i hear dusting with dt earth is one of the best ways to kill mites. as they can build superresistance to most insecticides if you dont kill them with the first few batches?. theres no way to build resistance to tiny shards of glass penetrating ur arms and legs
Predators always worked for me.
claudekim1

Post by claudekim1 »

i hear that can work too. but some people say it doesnt work so im not sure haha. im just wondering if its okay to use DT earth on seedlings as i grow mine outside of humdiity and try to limit water contact with the skin of the seedlings