Christmas cacti/succulent wishlist :)

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Christmas cacti/succulent wishlist :)

Post by Mrs.Green »

Since its Christmas soon, which cacti/succulents are on your wishlists? :D

Starting with myself; Cactus; On top of my wishlist is Schlumbergera exotica! Only place I have seen it for sale though is on ebay and the seller didn’t sell outside UK ( or was it US?) , anyway out of reach for me.
DaveW

Re: Christmas cacti/succulent wishlist :)

Post by DaveW »

You could try Planta Gusto (Seedlings and Cuttings) next year when they open again. At the moment their web site is more or less closed for winter as they don't send epiphytes out in the cold season..

https://plantgusto.com/
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

DaveW wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:06 am You could try Planta Gusto (Seedlings and Cuttings) next year when they open again. At the moment their web site is more or less closed for winter as they don't send epiphytes out in the cold season..

Thank you DaveW :) I had a look and it was as you said pretty empty noe. Will take a look in springtime. Buying live plants now from abroad would be rather risky.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

DaveW wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:06 am You could try Planta Gusto (Seedlings and Cuttings) next year when they open again. At the moment their web site is more or less closed for winter as they don't send epiphytes out in the cold season..

I am intrigued to know what plants they will be selling "to boost your party" from the Netherlands. Of course, it is the Netherlands, so perhaps having an exotic new Anthurium as a talking point is what everyone needs to make their party go with a swing.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

One Windowsill wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:52 pm

I am intrigued to know what plants they will be selling "to boost your party" from the Netherlands. Of course, it is the Netherlands, so perhaps having an exotic new Anthurium as a talking point is what everyone needs to make their party go with a swing.
:lol: :lol: I missed that part.. I only noticed the Schlumbergera section. Maybe they are selling growlights for ‘tomato’growers too? :wink:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Mrs.Green wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:15 pm Maybe they are selling growlights for ‘tomato’growers too? :wink:
No. This is just a small cuttings and seed business run by one person. Some of you know Ruud from the grafting with tiles technique. See his other website with videos on https://cactusinfo.nl/index.php/instruc ... met-tegels for this. He also has other instruction videos on how and what on cacti.
dinfelu

Post by dinfelu »

hello Aiko

very interesting the link you have put

greeting
🌵 Gabriel
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Aiko wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:17 pm
Mrs.Green wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:15 pm Maybe they are selling growlights for ‘tomato’growers too? :wink:
No. This is just a small cuttings and seed business run by one person. Some of you know Ruud from the grafting with tiles technique. See his other website with videos on https://cactusinfo.nl/index.php/instruc ... met-tegels for this. He also has other instruction videos on how and what on cacti.
Thank you for clarifying Aiko . I do feel bad to making jokes about a person I don’t know anything about. To my defence ( if needed) I did find the statement referred to a bit amusing, since I suspect that many people would think along those lines too, when reading about a plant that would ‘boost your party’ . Ironically for me any new plant would probably be the most interesting part of any ‘normal’ party , since I don’t find intoxicated people making fools of themselves, very interesting.. :P
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have had a few epiphytes from Ruud I could not easily get in the UK. You will get a better idea when his normal web site comes up when he starts to sell plants again in the warmer weather.

He also did these video's on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jYUxglNWY

If you click on the nearest small box at the on the right hand hand bottom of the screen an English summary will come up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQCZ9wRpvfA
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

I'm not picky, but here's my Ideal Christmas Cactus Wish List:
Arrojadoa giuliettiana
Arrojadoa paradoxa
Arthrocereus glaziovii
Borzicactus sylvaticus
Brasilicereus markgraffii
Cipocereus laniiflorus
Cleistocactus (=Cephalocleistocactus) chrysocephalus
Cleistocactus grossei
Cleistocactus hadrossoma
Cleistocactus jajoanus
Cleistocactus leonensis
Cleistocactus muyurinensis
Cleistocactus nivosus
Cleistocactus orthogonus
Cleistocactus rojoi
Cleistocactus sp. nova (Chunga-Amaya, Bolivia)
Cleistocactus tenuiserpens
Cleistocactus vallegrandensis (=C. candelilla?)
Cleistocactus x crassiserpens
Corryocactus brachypetalus
Corryocactus chachapoyensis
Corryocactus charazanensis
Corryocactus pulquiensis
Corryocactus serpens
Corryocactus tarijensis
Estevesia alex-bragae
Grusonia (Corynopuntia) agglomerata
Grusonia (Corynopuntia) deinacantha
Grusonia (Cylindropuntia) santamaria
Haageocereus icensis
Haageocereus platinospinus
Haageocereus pluriflorus
Haageocereus subtilispinus
Haageocereus vulpes
Haageocereus zangalensis
Lobivia pentlandii v. varians
Micranthocereus albicephalus
Micranthocereus aureispinus
Pierrebraunia eddie-estevesii

I know most of these are effectively impossible to find in cultivation, but Santa can do it, right? :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You stand more chance of finding some of those as seed from some of the Continental or E. European seedsmen than as ready made plants. Otherwise you often need to know somebody who is collecting in their habitats.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

DaveW wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:41 pm You stand more chance of finding some of those as seed from some of the Continental or E. European seedsmen than as ready made plants. Otherwise you often need to know somebody who is collecting in their habitats.
Oh yes...I'm after seeds and/or plants. I'm not picky.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

DaveW wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:58 am I have had a few epiphytes from Ruud I could not easily get in the UK. You will get a better idea when his normal web site comes up when he starts to sell plants again in the warmer weather.

He also did these video's on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jYUxglNWY

If you click on the nearest small box at the on the right hand hand bottom of the screen an English summary will come up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQCZ9wRpvfA
Thank you DaveW.

Minime8484 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:40 pm I'm not picky, but here's my Ideal Christmas Cactus Wish List:
Arrojadoa giuliettiana
Arrojadoa paradoxa
Arthrocereus glaziovii
Borzicactus sylvaticus
Brasilicereus markgraffii
Cipocereus laniiflorus
Cleistocactus (=Cephalocleistocactus) chrysocephalus
Cleistocactus grossei
Cleistocactus hadrossoma
Cleistocactus jajoanus
Cleistocactus leonensis
Cleistocactus muyurinensis
Cleistocactus nivosus
Cleistocactus orthogonus
Cleistocactus rojoi
Cleistocactus sp. nova (Chunga-Amaya, Bolivia)
Cleistocactus tenuiserpens
Cleistocactus vallegrandensis (=C. candelilla?)
Cleistocactus x crassiserpens
Corryocactus brachypetalus
Corryocactus chachapoyensis
Corryocactus charazanensis
Corryocactus pulquiensis
Corryocactus serpens
Corryocactus tarijensis
Estevesia alex-bragae
Grusonia (Corynopuntia) agglomerata
Grusonia (Corynopuntia) deinacantha
Grusonia (Cylindropuntia) santamaria
Haageocereus icensis
Haageocereus platinospinus
Haageocereus pluriflorus
Haageocereus subtilispinus
Haageocereus vulpes
Haageocereus zangalensis
Lobivia pentlandii v. varians
Micranthocereus albicephalus
Micranthocereus aureispinus
Pierrebraunia eddie-estevesii

I know most of these are effectively impossible to find in cultivation, but Santa can do it, right? :D
If Santa gonna bring you all these for Christmas, you surely must have been a VERY good boy/ girl this year! :D
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I think he has been very naughty. I don't see anything of these on the Succulenta and Mesa Garden seed list...!

(Well, Succulenta has the Lobivia pentlandii (I can already reveal even though it is not published yet) but not the var. varians unfortunately. It is also on my wish list.)
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Aiko wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:11 pm I think he has been very naughty. I don't see anything of these on the Succulenta and Mesa Garden seed list...!

(Well, Succulenta has the Lobivia pentlandii (I can already reveal even though it is not published yet) but not the var. varians unfortunately. It is also on my wish list.)
Most of these have been on my Wish List for many years...I am only aware of a couple that I've ever even heard of them being in cultivation.
But, a man can dream, right?
I swear I'll be good NEXT year! :wink:

p.s. - ANXIOUSLY awaiting Succulenta's list!