Conophytums from Etsy won’t root

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Brbdinner

Conophytums from Etsy won’t root

Post by Brbdinner »

Hi friends!

Has anyone had luck purchasing single conophytum heads from Etsy? I’ve purchased a few very small plants with a single head that arrive with dried roots, and half the time the roots never grow and end up shriveling and dying.

I’ve found this forum to be incredibly helpful and informative, so thanks for sharing your knowledge! I’d love to deepen my knowledge even further as I’m learning how to cultivate and find I need help when trouble shooting issues like the above. Does anyone know if there are mesemb experts hosting workshops, classes, or even doing paid consultations?

keith

Re: Conophytums from Etsy won’t root

Post by keith »

Conophytums the way I grow them ( outside ) will only root in the fall. Short days cooler weather. Unfortunately I am better at cactus just started growing Conos a few years ago so no expert. They like well drained soil with fine compost which I shift through window screen and mix with pumice and small gravel. Check out CandD plants I'm ordering a few if they haven't run out, and they are experts. They have a web site and sometimes post here. Mesa gardens also has a enormous collection of conophytums and is selling plants now in the fall. Seeds are very small and I start them indoors unlike cactus they cant take the heat when up from seeds for the first 6 months.

I don't know anything about Esty and on Ebay only buy from real growers but never bought cono's from Ebay. And probably should only buy them in the Fall.

Of course I don't know where you are so my experience is from my climate.
Steve Johnson

Re: Conophytums from Etsy won’t root

Post by Steve Johnson »

Brbdinner wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:12 pm Hi friends!

Has anyone had luck purchasing single conophytum heads from Etsy? I’ve purchased a few very small plants with a single head that arrive with dried roots, and half the time the roots never grow and end up shriveling and dying.

I’ve found this forum to be incredibly helpful and informative, so thanks for sharing your knowledge! I’d love to deepen my knowledge even further as I’m learning how to cultivate and find I need help when trouble shooting issues like the above. Does anyone know if there are mesemb experts hosting workshops, classes, or even doing paid consultations?

Try the Succulent Growing Help forum here. And yes, please do this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=43820

The Cultivation forum deals primarily with growing practices and not so much people having trouble with their plants. Most members grow either cacti or succulents, but not both, so the succulent forums here at CactiGuide will point you in the right direction.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)