Hardening off

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
christ_hears

Hardening off

Post by christ_hears »

Here's a few photos, just wondering when I should start thinking of hardening off or even repotting? Or do I just quit rushing things hahaha. also, are the pinkish one something to worry about?
Attachments
20201030_040505.jpg
20201030_040505.jpg (129.73 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
"Beauty is often hidden behind a veil of ugly"
esp_imaging

Re: Hardening off

Post by esp_imaging »

These look like they are happy and making good progress, so keep them as they are for quite a bit longer.
Maybe reduce the light levels a tiny bit (maybe this will happen anyway where you are with the change of the seasons), but slight hints of pink are fine with many species.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed. When they look like miniature versions of an adult cactus plant, instead of green blobs with a few spines on top, you can start thinking about hardening them off. As for potting them up - cactus seedlings like it a bit crowded. When they run out of room to grow, then it's time to repot.
Spence :mrgreen:
christ_hears

Post by christ_hears »

i appreciate the responses! these are under complete artificial light, 16 hours a day. Should i reduce to maybe 14? and this maybe a little off topic, but are these too small to graft onto pereskiopsis?
"Beauty is often hidden behind a veil of ugly"
7george

Post by 7george »

Pinkish ones are new-born, they will be fine soon. White ones might be without any pigment, there is not much we can do about it. These can stay there a couple of months more in the same substrate. It is good to know what you gain every time you transplant your seedlings: more room for growing, better soil (esp. if the first one is purely mineral) or better light or temperature conditions.
christ_hears wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:45 pm i appreciate the responses! these are under complete artificial light, 16 hours a day. Should i reduce to maybe 14? and this maybe a little off topic, but are these too small to graft onto pereskiopsis?
Keep the light same until next move. They are not too small, grafting depends on your skills and graft stock state (active growth, high temps & so).
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8