What Is This Euphorbia?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
pone

What Is This Euphorbia?

Post by pone »

This reminds me of Euphorbia Watusi but seems to have straighter edges. What is this?
aeede8a78565af5e73ec1c6f3954b4c0.jpeg.max600[1].jpeg
aeede8a78565af5e73ec1c6f3954b4c0.jpeg.max600[1].jpeg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
mmcavall

Re: What Is This Euphorbia?

Post by mmcavall »

Euphorbia ammak maybe?
pone

Post by pone »

mmcavall wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:36 am Euphorbia ammak maybe?
That is what I thought at first, but the arms on this one look more organized, like a Saguaro. Ammak tends to have a dense mass of chaotic arms at each level.
Euphorbia ammak potted CCC.jpg
Euphorbia ammak potted CCC.jpg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
ImNotTelling

Post by ImNotTelling »

That is often called Euphorbia acrurensis , supposedly E.abyssinica .
Ive seen it in gardens in southern Spain and France. I dont know what to make of the plant, because there is a lot of "supposedly" with it involved.
pone

Post by pone »

ImNotTelling wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 am That is often called Euphorbia acrurensis , supposedly E.abyssinica .
Ive seen it in gardens in southern Spain and France. I dont know what to make of the plant, because there is a lot of "supposedly" with it involved.
Abyssinica is supposed to be a five to seven-sided plant? The one I asked about appears to be four-sided. I found one reference that says
"It is not that common in cultivation and has an unfortunate synonym Euphorbia acrurensis, or just as commonly, a misspelled version, Euphorbia acurensis. The reason this is so unfortunate as there is a much more commonly sold Euphorbia in the nursery trade that is sold under that name as well but is very little like Euphorbia abyssinica." So this is a confusing identification in any case.
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

The number of sides can vary Significantly depending on the age of the plant. The main stalk is often different than branches or pups. It is useful with helping to identify an euphorbia along with spination, overall growth character and flower appearance but can lead you astray if used by itself.
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy