Guidance on Growing Succulents from Seeds

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
pone

Guidance on Growing Succulents from Seeds

Post by pone »

I am trying to cultivate Harry Butterfield "Super Donkey Tail" from the leaves. I have found by experiment that if I water the leaves before they put out roots, they rot out. So I leave them on top of the soil, totally dry for more than a month. Eventually, the baby plant starts to grow on one end. My question is should I plant the leaf in wet soil as soon as there is evidence of plant development on a leaf? Or should I instead wait until the plant starts to extend out roots before risking planting the leaf in wet soil?
Last edited by pone on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
esp_imaging

Re: Guidance on Growing Succulents from Seeds

Post by esp_imaging »

pone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:29 am I am trying to cultivate Harry Butterfield "Super Donkey Tail" from the leaves. I have found by experiment that if I water the seeds before they blossom, they rot out. So I leave them on top of the soil, totally dry for more than a month. Eventually, the baby plant starts to grow on one end. My question is should I plant the seed in wet soil as soon as there is evidence of plant development on a leaf? Or should I instead wait until the plant starts to extend out roots before risking planting the seed in wet soil?
The leaves aren't seeds, contrary to what some sellers state.

"I have found by experiment that if I water the seeds before they blossom, they rot out."
Blossoming is the production of flowers, not the production of roots, leaves or shoots.

I think waiting until roots are developing before watering will work best - until the leaves have roots, their ability to absorb water is more-or-less zero.
Even then, consistently slightly damp is likely to be better than "wet".
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
pone

Post by pone »

@esp_imaging I made corrections to the original post, thanks.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You can mist them lightly to reduce moisture loss, especially when humidity is low ("There's no humidity here!", Midwesterners exclaim.) The key word is "lightly" - you just want to raise the humidity, not get the soil wet to any significant degree.
Spence :mrgreen: