Depotted

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
From0to10in2weeks

Depotted

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

Hi,

So, I followed up on the advice of repotting the cacti I recently got. Well, at least for 5 of the 10 as I didn’t want to risk them all straight away. And those also had either roots growing out of the holes in the bottom and/or were rather crowded in their pot.

First I depotted them using flowing tap water (along with a squirt bottle occasionally). They are now drying on paper towels on an oven rack on a balcony table. There is no direct sun.

First lesson learned: the gardening gloves I bought are useless. A thick towel is much better to handle the cacti.

Here, are photos of them:

2. Pilosocereus glaucochrous
I managed to untangle these 3 and plan on placing them into their own individual pots.
2.JPG
2.JPG (212.42 KiB) Viewed 668 times
4. Echinocactus grusonii (Golden Barrel Cactus)
In this case, how would you go about separating them? There is actually a smaller third one behind those two.
4.JPG
4.JPG (175.59 KiB) Viewed 668 times
6. Vatricania Guentheri
6.JPG
6.JPG (192.44 KiB) Viewed 668 times
7. Thrixanthocereus blossfeldiorum
This one was a bit weird when watering. I noticed that when placing its pot into a tray full of water that the top never really got moist. In all the others, this worked just fine. But when I rinsed off the soil I didn’t see anything unusual. And the roots were all the way to the bottom and growing out the holes.
7.JPG
7.JPG (155.72 KiB) Viewed 668 times
8. Mammillaria aff. recoi
This one got me a little concerned with the lighter green at its base and then the pinkish “root stem” (not sure what this is called). Do you think this is root rot? It didn’t feel squishy but I am not well calibrated as to how it should feel like. Also, how would you separate these? There is a third smaller one behind these two.
8.JPG
8.JPG (190.94 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Do you see anything unusual or concerning in any of these? Is the removal of the soil sufficient?

I plan on repotting them tomorrow.

Thanks in advance. Best.
DaveW

Re: Depotted

Post by DaveW »

Rolled up newspapers used to handle them can be thrown away, spines and all. It's a bit rough drying yourself with spiny towels afterwards

They look OK and the roots are healthy!
From0to10in2weeks

Re: Depotted

Post by From0to10in2weeks »

DaveW wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:33 pm Rolled up newspapers used to handle them can be thrown away, spines and all. It's a bit rough drying yourself with spiny towels afterwards

They look OK and the roots are healthy!
Lol. I have no plans of using that towel for anything else but cacti in the future! :D Besides, I haven't had newspaper in a long, long time...

Anyway, do you have any suggestions as to how to separate #4 and #8?

Thanks so much for your feedback! Best.