Stapelia bud blast

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Gail

Stapelia bud blast

Post by Gail »

I have a unknown stapelia thats had bud blast for 2 or 3 years in a row. This years was looking promising but now its starting to yellow and die.
Last year I thought it was lack of water so I kept it damper but not soggy. I was in a north window but I moved it to a east window once I saw the bloom.
What do these things need? I'm about ready to toss it in the trash.
Steve-0
Location: Salt Lake Valley, Utah...high mountain desert climate

Re: Stapelia bud blast

Post by Steve-0 »

Here's a quickie copy and paste to see if you need to modify your plant care:
They are desert succulents and crave as much sunshine as you can give them, and want water only when bone dry, especially in winter.

Their only cultural enemies are chilly, wet soil, insufficient light, and being grown in pots that are too large (causing the first issue, wet soil).

In summer they’ll want water perhaps every two weeks. In spring/autumn perhaps once a month. When it comes to winter, you can skip watering altogether.

When in doubt, don’t water. If you want plants you needn’t fuss over, then Stapelias are your answer.
Best of luck.
Gail

Re: Stapelia bud blast

Post by Gail »

Water and pot size is good. It may very well be temps, its cold and damp right now. In facts, its always chilly and rainy when this thing is trying to bloom.
I'll have to figure out how to keep it warmer or else rehome it to a better environment.