Pachypodium Lamerei sick. Solutions please.

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Beatri

Pachypodium Lamerei sick. Solutions please.

Post by Beatri »

Hi everyone.
I need your help. I have a mini pachypodium lamerei in a pot as a bonsai.
I have it since many years, perhaps from 5 years or more.
Its trunk is soft at the touch, and visibly wrinkled. All of its leaves fell off little by little.
I have been pouring water over it once a week as usual. But, I may overwater it lately.
I have seen its roots. Some of its roots are brown and there is one white healthy root.

I attached some pictures. Note: I take it out of the pot to see the roots and took some pictures.

My questions are:

Is this plant dying?
Can I save it by pruning some of the sick roots and leave the healthy one root in the same pot or place it in another new soil?
I was asking opinions and suggestions about rotting parts of the plant to other people as well. They say I should cut the green part of the plant and remove all dead inclusive part of the stem because they are rotting. And leave it resting for a couple of days, and the healthy piece to air dry until the cuts end get callus, or should I put rooting hormone (takeroot, brand name garden safe)¿?

Please and thank you,

Beatriz
Attachments
Pachy 1.jpg
Pachy 1.jpg (92.51 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Pachy 2.jpg
Pachy 2.jpg (97.6 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Pachy 3.jpg
Pachy 3.jpg (47.72 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Pachy 4.jpg
Pachy 4.jpg (89.86 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Pachy 5.jpg
Pachy 5.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Jangaudi

Re: Pachypodium Lamerei sick. Solutions please.

Post by Jangaudi »

Well, I would check the main root / stem for rot. If it feels soft and mushy, and has an unpleasant smell it will be rotting. Watering once a week sounds too much as it is, and you might have fallen into the death trap. Once rot sets in, the roots can't take up water, which causes shriveling and leaf loss, which looks like it's drying out, which induces people to water it even more.
Luckily for you Pachypodiums can usually be propagated from cuttings, so you have a good chance of saving it, and I hope you can, cause it's a nice plant ! You will need to cut right above where the rot is, and keep going upwards until the rot has gone. Use a sterilized sharp knife for that. Then let it dry indeed, for at least a week or more, and maybe use sulfur powder to cover the cut, or use charcoal ashes. I don't think you'll need rooting hormone. Just check online for information on pachypodium propagation through cuttings for the details. I haven't done it myself, so I can't be 100 % sure about the whats and hows.
Good luck,
Jan

PS: aahhh yeah and....Pachypodiums are poisonous, so watch out when making cuttings, better wear gloves.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Pachypodiums are succulents, not cacti. Cacti and succulents have different watering needs, so it's important to make that distinction.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Cacti and succulents have different watering needs
It is true though that Pachypodiums need more water than cacti in general, so your rot problem might also come from the soil you're using. It looks like very rich standard compost soil with just some rocks on top. If you can save it you really need to change to a free draining soil.

https://worldofsucculents.com/how-to-gr ... chypodium/