Ideal humidity for Opuntias ???

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
BobCt

Ideal humidity for Opuntias ???

Post by BobCt »

I am trying to find what's the ideal relative humidity range for most Opuntia ???
Edwindwianto

Re: Ideal humidity for Opuntias ???

Post by Edwindwianto »

BobCt wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:51 am I am trying to find what's the ideal relative humidity range for most Opuntia ???
Hi Bob
Good afternoon

I quote from The Cactus Family

Page 484
Screenshot_2020-03-15-17-50-01-1.png
Screenshot_2020-03-15-17-50-01-1.png (131.64 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
Page 485
Screenshot_2020-03-15-17-49-37-1.png
Screenshot_2020-03-15-17-49-37-1.png (99.55 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
You see, that it is very hard to tell the humidity level of most Opuntia because the habitat of Opuntia is widespread and very varied (North American desert, South Mexico, Caribbean and South America)

But if you must know the humidity level of the habitat of a certain species of Opuntia, you can simply type it on Google
Like so...
Screenshot_2020-03-15-17-57-01-1.png
Screenshot_2020-03-15-17-57-01-1.png (57.94 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
So...you need to know what species is your Opuntia, where is it's habitat and type it on Google to have the most updated info of the humidity level of that habitat

Good luck

EDWIN
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I've always found Opuntia's hard to kill whatever conditions you grow them under, provided it does not get below freezing for any of the tender ones?
bartab

Post by bartab »

Like Dave says, I seem to see the same Opuntia's out in the Central Valley that I see in locations with common overnight and early morning fog in the Bay Area. I've seen varieties in the high desert and a little inland here in Norcal. I don't think they care.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

As Dave says, they are mostly fairly tolerant.
In any case, humidity tends to be something most of us have less direct control of than other parameters. Light, temperature, heat, watering and ventilation can be controlled more directly, but if the ambient air is very humid, most of us aren’t going to specifically try to dehumidify
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
7george

Post by 7george »

Opuntias are very different: more then 80 species described. Tropical ones should be more tolerant to humidity. Also during the growing period these need and take more humidity then in (winter) rest. So I would try to find species that like and will grow in my conditions then to try to recreate their natural environment.

My home atmosphere is pretty dry (we have humidifiers here as standard) but these plants take very well prolonged periods of drought and do not shrink if not exposed to strong sunlight.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Andrzej1972

Post by Andrzej1972 »

I have North american opuntias over 25 years. 15 years in Poland and now 10 years in UK. My opinion opuntias need a lot a fresh air, leaving outside in rock garden, I have no problem even in cold, wet jesień in Poland, and winter about - 20 C. Important, I believe is summer-hot, and sunny and not raining każdy days.
In UK is not frost, but also not so warm and much less sunny, and cacti are not so happy.
But definly opuntia are hardy outside and quite gently at home.