Sarracenia(North American pitcher plant) divisions for trade

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
SarrCrazy

Re: Sarracenia(North American pitcher plant) divisions for trade

Post by SarrCrazy »

Thank you very much Jerry but I have plenty of bog type flowers. The bog orchids actually just grow wild in all of my pots. I'm more interested in cacti or succulent seeds.
SarrCrazy

Post by SarrCrazy »

jerrytheplater wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:25 am I have seeds of Viola lanceolata, Xyris sp., and one that may be hardy by you: seeds of Sisyrinchium californicum. All collected this year and still waiting for more of the violets and Sisyrinchium to ripen and pop their seeds. And I have a dwarf growing Sphagnum moss which I collected in the Pine Barrens. It stays pretty compact. But it is much slower growing than the larger Sphagnum I have, which I am trying to discourage.
Would you be willing to trade a piece of your bulbophyllum for a sarr division?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

SarrCrazy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:43 amWould you be willing to trade a piece of your bulbophyllum for a sarr division?
Yes, I can do the trade. The Bulbophyllum is growing very large and there are places I can pull some off. It is on a cork slab with LFS between the slab and the orchid. I water daily like so: First drench with DI/rain/dehumidifier water with the slab in the bottom of the kitchen sink. Second drench with fertilizer solution on leaves and LFS. I place the slab on a plastic specimen display stand vertically to let it drain then place it and the stand in an Eastern facing window year round. I do sometimes skip a day of watering/fertilizing.

I've been using Better-Gro Orchid Plus at 1/4 tsp/gallon. I pack the 1/4 tsp and use the rain water to mix it up. I am pretty sure I'm seeing a nutrient deficiency (maybe calcium) as there isn't any at all in the mix. I am seeing total yellowing of some of the older leaves starting at the tip and working toward the petiole. I have a Pleurothallis rubella orchid on a birch branch section that gets the same treatment as the Bulbophyllum taiwanese. I've had it for at least three years I think. I am not seeing tip yellowing on it. I'm going to have to remount it pretty soon as it is running out of room on the 4" long branch.

Send a PM with your address etc.

But, what do you think of the temps to send the orchid now? Its getting cold.

And, when do you divide your CP? I've always done mine in late winter while dormant. If I got them now I'd store them in my refrigerator till spring.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
SarrCrazy

Post by SarrCrazy »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:33 am
SarrCrazy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:43 amWould you be willing to trade a piece of your bulbophyllum for a sarr division?
Yes, I can do the trade. The Bulbophyllum is growing very large and there are places I can pull some off. It is on a cork slab with LFS between the slab and the orchid. I water daily like so: First drench with DI/rain/dehumidifier water with the slab in the bottom of the kitchen sink. Second drench with fertilizer solution on leaves and LFS. I place the slab on a plastic specimen display stand vertically to let it drain then place it and the stand in an Eastern facing window year round. I do sometimes skip a day of watering/fertilizing.

I've been using Better-Gro Orchid Plus at 1/4 tsp/gallon. I pack the 1/4 tsp and use the rain water to mix it up. I am pretty sure I'm seeing a nutrient deficiency (maybe calcium) as there isn't any at all in the mix. I am seeing total yellowing of some of the older leaves starting at the tip and working toward the petiole. I have a Pleurothallis rubella orchid on a birch branch section that gets the same treatment as the Bulbophyllum taiwanese. I've had it for at least three years I think. I am not seeing tip yellowing on it. I'm going to have to remount it pretty soon as it is running out of room on the 4" long branch.

Send a PM with your address etc.

But, what do you think of the temps to send the orchid now? Its getting cold.

And, when do you divide your CP? I've always done mine in late winter while dormant. If I got them now I'd store them in my refrigerator till spring.
Might want to hold off til spring to ship the orchid but I can send you a couple divs in the next week or so.

I do most of my dividing after the plants go dormant for the year.

Shoot me your addy.