Licesprays Efforts.

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Licespray

Licesprays Efforts.

Post by Licespray »

Not much effort, mind you.

So doing a cactus garden, it’s going to be about 60’ long and 4’ wide on average. I started over 12 months ago and well...I’m terrible with procrastination. At first I was going to use sleepers to do the borders, then rock, so
I got a couple ton of sandstone..then changed my mind. I’m using hardwood logs now. So yesterday I finally started with 2 suitable logs I cut just recently. The soil is a mix of decomposed granite and local soil (which is a clay) and is about 12” deep. 6’ down 54 to go ](*,) a wheelbarrow would have helped. It’s now got its first inhabitants. Im going to move the rocks back and go to the end of the log, but then I need to go find some more logs.

The etiolation on those cacti was the motivation to get this done. Hopefully they grow out of it.

Ferocactus best cactus :mrgreen:
Licespray

Re: Licesprays Efforts.

Post by Licespray »

I’ll post better pics of each plant. They’ve been neglected for a long time and I’m only just making things right. The P. Marginatus was clearly not getting enough water or light as it’s both sunken and etiolated. I’ve got it staked up and the deco granite sets really hard so that should help hold it in place whilst it roots in. Next big species going in will be a 3” tall T. Atacamensis (T. pasacana). But it’ll be decades if it lives before its big enough to count as big.

Been hit with a storm so it’ll be interesting to see how well it drains. We’ve had about 1.5” of rain so far.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi
Where are you located?
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

Australia
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yep it’s all coming together. Throw in a couple of barrels and you should be set.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Licespray

Post by Licespray »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:49 am Yep it’s all coming together. Throw in a couple of barrels and you should be set.
There’s a ferocactus latispinus, ferocactus electracanthus (is that hystrix?) in, with a Glaucescens and wislizeni waiting for their spot.

Did another 16” today, put in an Astrophytum capricorne and Trichocereus pasacana (im aware it’s not called that anymore.) I know that last one gets huge but that’s a long long ways away..