Bennie's Favorites ;)

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Sarraceniacrazy

Re: Turbinicarpus from miles2go in bloom

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

That's a beautiful plant
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Nice plant Bennie. I like Turbinicarpus and have around 14. They raise easily from seed and flower in a few years. We used to think they were difficult when they first started to appear in the UK in the 1960's. Yes rubriflorus has now been transferred to T. schmiedickianus though originally published as a variety of T. schwarzii, therefore you will find it under both names.

With most I have seen the petal median stripes are a slightly deeper colour than yours, though that could be the photograph which is a little over exposed. However Turbinicarpus do vary as to the intensity of the median stripe in the petals since this is just natural variation. Of course "rubriflorus" = red flower, although only the median stripe in the petal is usually red and not the whole flower. Also flowers can vary in the intensity of the median stripe year to year, some years it being more intense than others.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... ubriflorus

In this Flickr example the midstride is almost over the entire petal. making it almost a red flower:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cactuz/44144513052

This was one of mine:-

Turbinicarpus schmiedickianus rubriflorus.jpg
Turbinicarpus schmiedickianus rubriflorus.jpg (83.12 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

You can make a nice little collection of Turbinicarpus. They flower small and do not take up a lot of space and mine go through the winter in an unheated greenhouse.

Also see:-

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40264
TimN

Post by TimN »

Turbinicarpus can be precocious like that! If you have two, they'll make seeds like crazy. I bought this one as a fairly large plant. It makes tons of flowers, but it only looks this good with the first flush of flowers.
T schmiedickeanus a.jpg
T schmiedickeanus a.jpg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim