Gibbaeum comptonii care?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Gail

Gibbaeum comptonii care?

Post by Gail »

I'm getting some Gibbaeum comptonii seeds and can't find much info on germination or care, any tips?
Most of the pictures I've seen looks to be potting soil and/or vermiculite.
Aiko

Re: Gibbaeum comptonii care?

Post by Aiko »

Do you have experience growing mesembs, particulary winter active ones?
Gail

Post by Gail »

Well, I've had lithops for a few years but they did very badly. Everytime they split, they got smaller and smaller until they shriveled up and died.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I've not tried Gibbeaums, but I think soil type (normal xeric succulent soil, i.e. very well drained and not very fertile) and germination (warm, but not hot, don't keep sealed in a bags for more than 2 or 3 weeks) aren't the problem, it's long term watering regime and temperatures that are hard to get right. If you get these OK, natural light over winter may not be enough in northern Europe (where are you based) to get good flowering.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
keith

Post by keith »

I have Gibbaeum cryptopodium from seed right now many germinated but few have survived. Mine tend to fall over being top heavy spindly things like cheridopsis or Lithops I grew from seeds a few years back. In mostly sand and pumice with a little organic. No plastic top . I spray them with water from a sprayer when the soil looks dry which is almost every day now. Next to a sunny window inside the house. they seem kinda tricky to me.
keith

Post by keith »

upper left are Gibbaeum seedlings and conophytum seedlings which are more rounded.
Attachments
seedlings
seedlings
IMG_3834.JPG (127.07 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Gail

Post by Gail »

The seeds came today. I'll try a light well draining soil, wish me luck lol. I'm in the USA, these will have to be under lights in the winter.