Upside Down Grafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Shane

Upside Down Grafting

Post by Shane »

I successfully an M. gracilis fragilis a few weeks ago*. It has been growing, but only roots. To do the graft I cut the scion in half and grafted each half hoping one would take. Only the one grafted upside down took. I'd heard you could graft upside down but I don't remember where. Will it ever grow anything other than roots?

*See:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43532
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
DaveW

Re: Upside Down Grafting

Post by DaveW »

Yes they just put out offsets from the areoles, just as would any cactus you "blinded" by removing the growing point. You can then either root them down when large enough or re-graft them the right way up to produce a normal plant.

If only a few seedlings germinate cutting in half and grafting both top and bottom halves is one way to produce grafted mother plants much quicker.
Shane

Re: Upside Down Grafting

Post by Shane »

DaveW wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 am Yes they just put out offsets from the areoles, just as would any cactus you "blinded" by removing the growing point. You can then either root them down when large enough or re-graft them the right way up to produce a normal plant.

If only a few seedlings germinate cutting in half and grafting both top and bottom halves is one way to produce grafted mother plants much quicker.
Thanks. I was hoping this was the case
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction