fertilizer

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Mia

fertilizer

Post by Mia »

What number ratio of fertilizer do you all use?

How often do you fertilize your cactus?

Mia
ondy

Post by ondy »

Mia,

There are a number of different ways to fertilize. I know some of us use a time release pellets mixed in with our soil. Some of us use a chemical fertilizer, for example Cactus Juice which is a 1-7-6 ratio. Some of us use an organic fertilizer like a genreal vegetable fertilizer usually works well enough. I don't use time release because I like to have more control over my fertilizations. I have used the Cactus Juice in the past but lately I have swithced to using a seaweed fish emulsion fertilizer. It's a little stinky at first and has a ration of 2-3-1. I feel it's a bit 'lighter' so to speak. I don't worry too much about over fertilizing because it's oprganic. Also I think it is beneficial because seaweed has a lot of trace minerals in it.
As far as when to fertilize. I have been giving most of my plants a dose about every three weeks in the summer. I never fertilize in the winter and never when I first start watering plants coming out of dormancy in the spring. That's my two cents. Hope that helps.

Andy
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mia,

Andy has given a very good in depth write up and there is not really much to add to it, but here are one or two thoughts. A base fertilser mixed with the compost in the pot is as Andy said usually a slow release one which will feed the plant over a number of months, but the occasional half strength diluted liquid fertiliser (a general house plant one is OK but check to see if it has trace elements like iron and boron. Cacti need these) is beneficial especially when the first flower buds are seen. Never fertilise when the plant is bone dry as this could burn the roots and normally only feed through the summer months.
Cacti are not normally avid 'feeders' and too much tends to make them bloated and lose their natural shape.

John
ondy

Post by ondy »

That's interesting John. I didn't know that roots are more likely to be harmed by fertilizer when dry. Thanks for the advice.

Andy
JuanKilo

Post by JuanKilo »

1001 ways to fertilize continued:

:lol:

Everyone's style and method of fertilization is probably a bit different. Greenhouse plants will use the fertilizations to produce faster and often stronger growth. It's hot in greenhouses, the conditions are close to perfect for growth, and the plants can drink more. These hothouse plants enjoy high nitrogen fertilizers.

People watering plants indoors around their homes have a drier and very mild climate normally, so these plants won't drink as much as those in the greenhouses.

Cacti greenhouses are usually dry and arid with a good breeze. Cacti in here can drink alot of water also, but the style of greenhouse and conditions within will dictate the needs for watering and fertilizations. Temperature, humidity, air movement, sunlight levels...all contribute to our recipes for watering and fertilizing.

I grow outdoors as long as my zone 4/5 climate permits it in terra cotta exclusively. Small pots 3-4" are being water almost daily with temps above 90, and every other day below 90. 5-7" pots are being watered every two or three days. I fert every watering with 1/2 strength fert. Our climate is hot, humid and breezy. Where my cacti are is quite hot, and has a southern exposure, so the pots dry quickly. Many pots sit on shelves, while others larger are on a layer of 3-4" of river rock.

I'm very leery of using a high nitrogen, or first number, with cacti. Nitrogen in large quantities will promote rapid growth. That's well and fine for plants with leaves, but not cacti. As cacti bodies grow larger, they gain weight. Using a high nitrogen fertilizer will generate fast growth which results in abnormally fast and weak growth, without the skeleton being able to generate itself quick enough to support the weight of the plant as it grows. I've seen cacti split from to high a nitro from ferts. I've read the suggestion that if using a normal houseplant fert, dilute it to 1/4 strenght, and garden ferts to 1/3.

Look around locally for some cactus fertilizer tho, or shop online, it's around and worth the effort.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi JuanKilo,

More useful information regarding feeding plant, and as you say everyone adopts their own feeding strategy. I think the bottom line is not too much and not too often.

John