vitt13's grafts

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
vitt13

Re: vitt13's grafts

Post by vitt13 »

Ok, just skip a lot of intermediate December's photos :-D and post remarkable results.

December 5, 2018
Yet another Rhipsalidopsis graft but made on Echinopsis rootstock.

December 13, 2018
Grafted Portulaca grandiflora 'albiflora' had been bloomed

December 31, 2018
Acanthocalycium glaucum VG-177
Astrophytum hybr. (meristematic clone)
and his oldest clone
That who I thought was a hybrid with A. capricorne
and another Astrophytum hybrid
Aylostera heliosa
Frailea angelesii n.n. P390
and another two
Obregonia denegrii
Two Frailea(s)
Echinofossulocactus sp.
another Echinofossulocactus sp.
and clone
Sulcorebutia rauschii WR289
Two Lophophoras still remained light green
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

March 4, 2019

March 19, 2019
One L. was going to bloom in the fist time.
and it had bloom in March 22

March 26, 2019
Four Astrophytum(s) hybrid, last two are the clones. (It's a metric measuring tape)

April 21, 2019

May 6, 2019
L. was still blooming and even produced the fruit from self-pollination.
I planned to collect the seeds to have a chance on a variegated seedling in the nearest future.
I do not need an ordinary L., but variegated is wanted.

May 31, 2019
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

In mid-May I have grafted three Mammillaria seedlings which had a chance to be variegated.
Here they are
in May 23, 2019
then June 5, 2019
then July 9, 2019
two of them
July 22, 2019
then these two
third that I have showed at 'June 5'
and another one :-) that I forgot about
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Finally, Degrafting
In mid-June I have placed almost all grafted cacti on outdoor. It was not under oper air but under white shady cover to protect cacti
againsts UV until they have adapted to the new conditions.
Only two (were going to bloom) grafted Obregonia(s) and L.(s) (with one Astrophitum hybr. on the same rootstock) have been remained indoor.
Here is last photo I took before permanently removed shady cover and degrafted cacti.
June 27, 2019

July 8, 2019
I have defrafted most of the grafted cacti in the simplest way. Actualy it was not the complete degrating because I left the small piece of the rootstock.
I placed cutted cacti to root them right there, outdoor, without any cover because the forecasts said there were no rains in nearest two weeks.
On the next day
The remained grafted cacti and the orphaned rootstocks.
So, here are my grafting results, how they had been looked at the degrafting moment and then I'll show you the photos after they have rooted and how they will change.
Technically they are still grafted, of course, they have hidden rootstock.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
briancarpenter

Post by briancarpenter »

Great post :D Tremendous grafting sequence

:o you've chosen a great assortment of plants. I hope my grafts turn out as good as yours
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

briancarpenter wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:34 pm Great post :D Tremendous grafting sequence

:o you've chosen a great assortment of plants. I hope my grafts turn out as good as yours
Thank you! I choose the species mostly because of habitus, I'm mostly a cacti fan of unusual spines, furs, colored and/or shaped stems (like variegated or crested). My collection is still small but it's growing.
Wish you the best of luck with your grafts!
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

By the end of July cacti had been rooted.
July 17, 2019
Two Obregonia denegrii in the flowering

July 22, 2019
Astrophytums had been rooted and even had significal new growth. Last (smallest) Astrophytum unexpectedly is on the way to turned to nudum-like.
I amazed by the colors of this Frailea!
Group photo on July 22, 2019
July 27, 2019
Three-headed Obregonia denegrii

Another next group photo on
August 3, 2019
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Excellent work Vitt13! Beautiful photos and beautiful display you've created outside. Definitely a great choice on the stone compared to the colour of the plants. Quick question, what do you attribute to the speedy growth of your grafts? What type of lighting were you using to get them to plump up? They all look so nicely plump and firm, almost with a sheen on them.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:05 pm Excellent work Vitt13! Beautiful photos and beautiful display you've created outside. Definitely a great choice on the stone compared to the colour of the plants. Quick question, what do you attribute to the speedy growth of your grafts? What type of lighting were you using to get them to plump up? They all look so nicely plump and firm, almost with a sheen on them.
Thank you!

It's a good question, I forgot to note about growing light...
So,

I have two DIY LED lamps.
First one built from
- 10 pcs Warm White LED (Color Temperature 2800-3200K), 10W/pcs, Voltage:9-12V, Datasheet Current:900mA, Luminous Flux: 90-120LM/W
- 5 pcs 'full spectrum' LED (actually it's blue LED with phosphor/luminophore conversion into red), it emits violet light, 10W/pcs, Voltage:9-10V, Datasheet Current:900mA, Wavelength:400nm~840nm
Click on the photos to see them in full.
- 2 pcs Cold White LED (Color Temperature 6000-6500K), 10W/pcs, Voltage:27-33V, Datasheet Current:300mA
This lamp I use as light source for sowing- and grow-box for cacti and succulents. It needs a various amount a heat to the germination or to the growing.
LEDs produce also a heat as dissipation energy during emitting light. Big amount produced heat requires air circulation or cooling system to avoid overheat plants or seedlings.
I vary the current from power source (have a regulated LED driver) to change the bright of the light and also change a heat which LEDs is produced.
Warm white LEDs and 'full spectrum' LEDs have unite circuit and powered with regulated LED driver.
Usually for growing (as well as for grafts) I use limited current at 300mA per LED, it lower then allowed 900mA so LEDs produces lower heat.
Two Cold white LEDs have constant power source at 340mA (170mA per LED).
Summary electric power:
( 1.5A * 26V ) + ( 0.34A * 26V ) = 47.84W
In present time I use this lamp and grow-box for Adenium obessum seedlings from own seeds.
Image Image

Second one built from
- 10 pcs 10W Warm White LED (Color Temperature 2800-3200K) 10W/pcs, Voltage:9-12V, Datasheet Current:900mA, Luminous Flux: 90-120LM/W
- 2 pcs 10W 'full spectrum' LED (actually it's blue LED with phosphor/luminophore conversion into red), it emits violet light, 10W/pcs, Voltage:9-10V, Datasheet Current:900mA, Wavelength:400nm~840nm
- 18 pcs 3W full spectrum 400nm-840nm LED Grow Plant light with 20mm Star Base (old generation), 3W/pcs, Voltage:3.0-3.4V, Datasheet Current:600~700mA, Wavelength:400nm~840nm
It uses own power supply (also regulated driver, modified ATX PC Power Supply) at 2.1A and 27V. So each LED feeds by ~350mA.
Summary electric power: 56.7W
I use this lamp for growing plants in autumn, winter and early spring. Recently I have re-potted lithops and I use this lamp til they adapted.
Image Image
Pereskiopsisdotcom

vitt13 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:05 pm
Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:05 pm Excellent work Vitt13! Beautiful photos and beautiful display you've created outside. Definitely a great choice on the stone compared to the colour of the plants. Quick question, what do you attribute to the speedy growth of your grafts? What type of lighting were you using to get them to plump up? They all look so nicely plump and firm, almost with a sheen on them.
Thank you!

It's a good question, I forgot to note about growing light...
So,

I have two DIY LED lamps.
First one built from
- 10 pcs Warm White LED (Color Temperature 2800-3200K), 10W/pcs, Voltage:9-12V, Datasheet Current:900mA, Luminous Flux: 90-120LM/W
- 5 pcs 'full spectrum' LED (actually it's blue LED with phosphor/luminophore conversion into red), it emits violet light, 10W/pcs, Voltage:9-10V, Datasheet Current:900mA, Wavelength:400nm~840nm
Click on the photos to see them in full.
- 2 pcs Cold White LED (Color Temperature 6000-6500K), 10W/pcs, Voltage:27-33V, Datasheet Current:300mA
This lamp I use as light source for sowing- and grow-box for cacti and succulents. It needs a various amount a heat to the germination or to the growing.
LEDs produce also a heat as dissipation energy during emitting light. Big amount produced heat requires air circulation or cooling system to avoid overheat plants or seedlings.
I vary the current from power source (have a regulated LED driver) to change the bright of the light and also change a heat which LEDs is produced.
Warm white LEDs and 'full spectrum' LEDs have unite circuit and powered with regulated LED driver.
Usually for growing (as well as for grafts) I use limited current at 300mA per LED, it lower then allowed 900mA so LEDs produces lower heat.
Two Cold white LEDs have constant power source at 340mA (170mA per LED).
Summary electric power:
( 1.5A * 26V ) + ( 0.34A * 26V ) = 47.84W
In present time I use this lamp and grow-box for Adenium obessum seedlings from own seeds.
Image Image

Second one built from
- 10 pcs 10W Warm White LED (Color Temperature 2800-3200K) 10W/pcs, Voltage:9-12V, Datasheet Current:900mA, Luminous Flux: 90-120LM/W
- 2 pcs 10W 'full spectrum' LED (actually it's blue LED with phosphor/luminophore conversion into red), it emits violet light, 10W/pcs, Voltage:9-10V, Datasheet Current:900mA, Wavelength:400nm~840nm
- 18 pcs 3W full spectrum 400nm-840nm LED Grow Plant light with 20mm Star Base (old generation), 3W/pcs, Voltage:3.0-3.4V, Datasheet Current:600~700mA, Wavelength:400nm~840nm
It uses own power supply (also regulated driver, modified ATX PC Power Supply) at 2.1A and 27V. So each LED feeds by ~350mA.
Summary electric power: 56.7W
I use this lamp for growing plants in autumn, winter and early spring. Recently I have re-potted lithops and I use this lamp til they adapted.
Image Image
Vitt13, this is all really impressive. You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge on light and electricity. To be honest, I am surprised that the lights of this expense and power are able to grow cacti. You may be familiar with this article on the CactiGuide site about lighting: http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article17.php It has been referred to numerous times as the end-all-be-all of lighting guides and although it has been updated it still fails to recognize much from LED. Of course, I think it also assumes one is trying to grow columnar cacti and old mature specimens.

Personally, I initially tried the Mars Hydro and look-a-like models in the 300 series (100 actual watts) and was disappointed by how directional they were and that I could not see what I was growing because it looked like an alien spacecraft was landing! I've really been desiring an LED that is long enough and shaped like a four-foot T5 fixture. I have tried LED strips that look similar to yours but the lumens were much more akin to bedroom soft light rather than growing.

How long did it take you to figure out that this was the light for you? I assume you supplement with outdoor sources too? But until it gets degrafted from seedling to grafted it goes under your grow lights? And for someone with no electrical experience, I would have to find a friend to build these for me. Though I see individual LEDs are cheap on Aliexpress.

vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 pmHow long did it take you to figure out that this was the light for you? I assume you supplement with outdoor sources too? But until it gets degrafted from seedling to grafted it goes under your grow lights? And for someone with no electrical experience, I would have to find a friend to build these for me. Though I see individual LEDs are cheap on Aliexpress.
I apologize for the delay.

I have been started using LEDs light since Nov 2015.
Initially it wasn't for cacti growing, it was artificial light for spicy plants, for growing vegetables sprouts.
In that time I bought 50 small 'full spectrum' LEDs (3 unreal Watt for each single LED, actually it was the marketing trick, 3.0-3.2V * 600mA = 1.8-1.92W not 3W! ), as I pointed out, it was old generation of LEDs.
Those LEDs generally emit blue light with 445-450nmm wavelength. Part of that blue light pass through phosphor, and part of it is conversed into red light with maximum peak at 620-630nm.
Ratio of blue to red is approximately 1:3. Some people say those LEDs are good in flowering time for herbs, but bad in vegetation time.
People who experimented with different red LEDs, i.e. 620nm and 660nm, says that 660nm is better.
I never tried to use genuine 660nm LEDs, but today I have (not 100% sure because of Aliexpress goods :-)) new generation of 'full spectrum' LED that have phosphor which converse blue light into 660nm, it should be better.
I made two plastic grow-boxes and two lamps for each box. One box was bigger but today I use only small grow-box with small lamp, but big lamp I use without box.
Small box is 0.25cm width, 0.45cm length and 0.21cm height. It has approximately 0.11sq meters or 1.21 sq foot.
I have read many articles how much LEDs light should I have for each square meter.
My calculations said that ratio the electric Watts to the square meters was more than enough (if I will use maximum allowed electric current for LEDs):
Guess I have 50W lamps in means, so 50W / 0.11sq m = 444 W/m2 or 41.3W/sq foot
I had been started experimenting with LED light and grew some spicy herbs (Basil, Rosemary, Sweet Marjoram) from seeds.
Fortunately in that time I also had some cacti seedlings from my first time sowing and I decided to place the seedling under the LED light.
In the experiments with LED light that I have, I had changed the electric current, searched the optimal current regime. I had started from 600mA and reduced it to 350nm.
Hight current (500..600mA per LED) gave me red coloring stems of the plants. Even more, I have noticed that cacti seedlings had been reacted on light changing (i.e. current from the LEDs) much faster than herbs, and also cacti had lost red coloring withing a week-two if I decrease the light (electric current), but herbs reacted to decreased light much slowly.
In other words, cacti seedlings were indicator how much light I need to give them and whether was overlight.
Those seedlings
So, my important conclusion was "put cacti seedling (these were Myrtillocactus, Ferocactus and Carnegiea) under the light" and over-watch what/if there was any change on epidermis color.
I also seen someone's experiments with blue 445nm LED and 660nm red LEDs and ration blue to red was different that mine, more blue light, so the results were deep blue-ish coloring leaves of the succulents (Kalanchoe and Сrassulaceae succulent) and leads to very short distances between nearest leaves (short internodes) under such light.

So, I found out optimal electric current for LEDs in my lamp and went to sowing Lithops, Dinteranthus and Lapidaria in 2016. My succulents almost never seen sunlight before end of the Spring 2017.
In sunny days I regularly moved pots from windowsill to back under the LED lamp and have continued lighting to 9pm or 10pm. Then on the next morning I moved pots back to (indoor) windowsill.
In promising rainy or cloudy days I left the pots stay in grow-box under the LED light.
Summer and autumn 2018 I didn't use LED lamp and these succulents have been grew only under the sunlight indoor on windowsill.
Also, that time LEDs in my big lamp have been started to die one by one because of expired lifetime. But small LED lamp have been still worked. And I have been started my new search what was the new in cheap LED offers. :-)
Late autumn 2018 Lapidaria had been going to bloom, but the days were too short to flowering. I moved the pot under LED light and flower tried to open at 8pm, but did it incompletely.
Next days were the same. Flowers had never opened fully under that "violet" LED light even if I use later two additional 10W Cold White LEDs.
So, my next conclusion was "violet LED light is not for bloom". Furthermore that extremely bright "violet" light gave me episodically headaches, my brain have never adapted to this wrong light, light without green component.
Jan 28, 2018
Dinteranthus, Lapidaria & Lithops before they've ever seen the sunlight that year
Image Image
Old LED lamp construction. Actually it had 80+ small 'near UV LEDs' but they were useless.

Nov 10, 2018
'Lapidaria margaretae SH588' under LEDs was trying to bloom.

Searching on Aliexpress in Winter 2018 I found some sale promotions of old generation Warm White LEDs and new generation of "full spectrum" LEDs.
Because of my strongly disaffection to "violet" light, I decided to use "full spectrum" LEDs in the minority, preferring to use more Warm White LEDs.
But as I found out reading from many resources, cheap Warm White LEDs have less portion of 660nm light, so I still have to use either pure 660nm LEDs, or new generation of "full spectrum" LEDs.
My final construction of LED lamps haven't any complete explanation why was such amonut each type of LEDs, but have some logical background.
And what is most importantly - that construction give me good looking plants.

The new (actually, upgraded) LED lamps I used, as I told before, for growing cacti seedlings and later for grafts. Neither cacti seedling, or young grafts were never placed under the sun light.
I did the grafts in late Autumn and Winter, so it haven't enough sun light in that time. My grow-box with LED lamp is placed in room with tiny window, the light from the window have never fall in grow-box.
I have started move the grafts on windowsill in later Spring on sunny days, and anyway moved pots back under the LED lamp after 6pm, have continued lighting to 9pm or 10pm.
Some times later, there was a day that Loph. was going to bloom, but that day was cloudy. I placed L. under the LED and the flower has opened. That was a small victory.
April 2, 2019
There was another cloudy day that Frailea had promised to bloom. I placed that Frailea under the LED lamp but the flower has not opened. :-( That had no explanation for me.
So, we have come to the last secret. This is the distance from plant to panel with LEDs.
First construction of small grow-box had 21cm in height. Most of time there was a pot with lithops. They were flat as possible and never tried to rise higher as well as they do it in shady place.
The distance from lithops to LED lamps was 12-14cm. When I had necessity to place the pots with grafted cacti seedlings on Pereskiopsis shoots, I have increased the height of the box.
Thus the distance from grafted seedlings on the tops to LED lamp also became about 12-15cm (without increasing the height of the box the distance would be to small, approx. 5cm.)

And finally, here is the list on Aliexpress that you can reffer to build your own LED lamps.
1. Warm light LEDs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32786793252.html
Only 10W model hasn't on-boarded driver so it's more "flexible" on you own wish current-changing purpose.
2. Cold White LEDs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1363857929.html
I bought 'real 10W' item.
3. New-generation 'Full spectrum' LEDs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958493220.html
All models haven't on-boarded driver, but You may find other model that have it.
4. Old-generation LEDs I bought in 2015 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32443423774.html I do not recommend it now, cause it's outdated and ineffective.
I recommend #3 to use instead #4. You can use '10W' (or higher) model on regime you wish, like 3..10W(*depending on model) changing electric current from power source (driver).

I hope this will help you.
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

vitt13 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:59 am Image
One yellow offshoot has been burned out under the sun. :-(
vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Sept 8, 2019

Oct 7, 2019
I dug the cacti and potted them. Here you can see that no one (except S. rauschii) has own roots but most of them have rooted Pereskiopsis stump.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Here they are potted
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Vitt13, I never realized that you didn't fully degraft the scion from the Pereskiopsis when you put them outside. Do you have much experience cutting out the entire rootstock, healing the wound, and successfully rooting? There have been a couple of discussions regarding this topic here lately. From my experience, rot can be quite common when doing this as such a large mass comes off the scion. With your method do you ever expect for the Pereskiopsis to fall off or will it work with the new roots you create? Is it just for show to hide the Pereskiopsis?

By the way, I have been upgrading my lighting technology using similar LED setups you have done. I'm no professional so I have been buying from a local company. I'm incredibly pleased with the change over in growth, energy savings, and almost complete lack of heat. Hopefully, I can post on it sooner rather than later.

vitt13

Post by vitt13 »

Pereskiopsisdotcom,
I have not experience fully degrafting the scion from the Pereskiopsis. I regularly read the topics concerning degrafting. I realized that fully degrafting could be dangerous especially for young small scions. I'm too new for that and don't want to risk.
I realized that much safety is just hide the Pereskiopsis stump, but I was also ready to expect for the Pereskiopsis wilt and fall off. Three or four too small Fraileas lost the Pereskiopsis stump from rot and then they fortunately rooted. Leaving hided rootstock the scions also got a good new growth and probably got a less risky chance to try the scions fully degraft on the next year.
Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:39 pmBy the way, I have been upgrading my lighting technology using similar LED setups you have done. I'm no professional so I have been buying from a local company. I'm incredibly pleased with the change over in growth, energy savings, and almost complete lack of heat. Hopefully, I can post on it sooner rather than later.
I'm glad to know that it was helpful. I'll be waiting your post about it.