Sick Kalanchoe

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Msannic

Sick Kalanchoe

Post by Msannic »

Hello!

I am worried about my kalanchoe. It started to look a little shriveled and i thought it might be etiolated, but extra sunlight does not seem to be helping and it has gotten worse over the past week. Then I suspected pests, but upon root inspection, none were found. Then I suspected pests, but upon root inspection, none were found. I changed out the soil and cut back on watering in case it was over watered, adding extra perlite and rocks to my potting mixture. I fear the dreaded powdery mildew but have never seen it first hand. Has anyone else seen anything like this or have any idea what it could be? Any advise or expertise is much appreciated!

-Miranda
Attachments
kalanchoe1.jpg
kalanchoe1.jpg (17.76 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
kalanchoe2.jpg
kalanchoe2.jpg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
kalanchoe3.jpg
kalanchoe3.jpg (19.2 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Miranda
Las Vegas, NV - zone 9A
esp_imaging

Re: Sick Kalanchoe

Post by esp_imaging »

They look very dry and under-watered. I assume it's summer where you are? If so, give them a good soaking. They may survive with very little water, but at this time of year, leafy succulents like this want quite a bit.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Msannic

Post by Msannic »

It is summer! And a very hot one. We just had a heat wave last week here in Las Vegas. I was so worried about overwatering! I’ll try giving them a good drink and see how they do! Thank you!!
Miranda
Las Vegas, NV - zone 9A
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

Kalanchoe and Euphorbias will both LOVE being drenched every day in a Vegas summer. It's counter-intuitive because most succulents want to be dry, but these two genera can be watered every single day when the temperatures are above 80. They will both grow very fast during this time, too.

I have seen little 4" hybrid Kalanchoes in June become 18" Kalanchoes by October when they gets lots of water and heat simultaneously. You just don't want them to ever stay wet and cold at the same time.
Msannic

Post by Msannic »

I gave them a deep drink of water and the next day they were back to normal! I've increased the frequency of watering to every other day and they seem to be doing really well now! Thank you all for the very helpful advice!
Miranda
Las Vegas, NV - zone 9A
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

You're welcome! In the heat of the summer, you could water them every other day and they would be fine. But at least once a week is probably a good idea.