If I cut the stem of a young succulent, will leaves grow back?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Nataly731

If I cut the stem of a young succulent, will leaves grow back?

Post by Nataly731 »

Hi, I’m new to having succulents and I can’t find anything about propagating younger succulents. I’m not sure how old my succulent really is, but it was small to medium sized. I had put it in the wrong soil so the plant was over watered. one day it had white spots that were kind of sinking in with little black dots on them, but only on the leaves. I thought it had rotted so I took some leaves and threw the plant away. A few days later I had planted new plants but decided to open the green basket to take one last look, and t turns out the plant was still alive. It had really dry soil, and the once white spots were now brown and shriveled. It was also VERY stretched out. Instead of looking up what to do I immediately removed all the leaves and left the top rosette. it has bare stem that is about 3 inches. I put it in cactus soil and I’m giving it sun. It’s still green, but a little droopy and I see no difference since I’ve repotted it . I’m planning on cutting the stem an inch or two to see if some new leaves grow, but I’m not sure if that will work if it is a young plant. Btw the plant is firestorm sedum adolphii
bbarv

Re: If I cut the stem of a young succulent, will leaves grow back?

Post by bbarv »

Pic of your sedum would help
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Leave it alone, in cactus soil with extra grit added, water it every few days or so if it's warm where you live.
Sedums normally root quite quickly (i.e. in a few weeks, not hours or days). They don't want to be too hot until they have rooted.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, give it some time to recover.
Spence :mrgreen: