New to growing cacti - Advice please

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
KimMarie

New to growing cacti - Advice please

Post by KimMarie »

Afternoon all,

It’s not just my first time posting on here, it’s also the first time I’ve attempted to grow ANYTHING from seed so please be nice! :lol:

I’ve attached some photos of some ‘mixed seed’ that I planted in July last year. I had 21 out of 30 germinate so I was pretty happy with the success rate. I’ve left them covered over with a thin plastic shower cap since then as it made it easier to check on their progress.

I think they’re about ready to be potted (I’ve bought some small terracotta pots and aquarium gravel) although I would like to give them away as gifts and I have literally no clue about care information.

I’ve had a look online and I can only really see info on how often to water a fully grown cactus. How often would they require water when young, and where is best to situate them for the right amount of heat and light? (I’m in the UK).

I guess the main reason I’ve left them covered for so long is because it seemed to be working so I didn’t want to risk unknown territory, although I’ve had a lot of moss and mould as a consequence.

I’ve just bought some more seed and I’m going to attempt them again this year, so any advice on what I could do differently to avoid the moss etc would be great, and how I can look after the ones I have when they’re newly exposed to the elements!

Thanks in advance,
Kim
Attachments
cactus1.jpg
cactus1.jpg (87.2 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
thumbnail_image2.jpg
thumbnail_image2.jpg (80.72 KiB) Viewed 3230 times