Help with new echeveria

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
AutumnRose

Help with new echeveria

Post by AutumnRose »

Hello all, hoping to get some help/advice with a newer plant I picked up from a local garden center. In the shop it was located in a mostly dark room, so I know it was hardly getting any sun. At the very bottom of the plant it had some small shrived leaves & wet soil. Shortly after bringing my plant home (maybe around 3-4 days) I noticed some sort of issues with the leaves. I'm wondering if it may be because of the conditions it was in previously or something that I've done to it. I've had it in my sunniest window since the 30th of April (the day I brought it home) and have yet to water it.
Any advice on where to go with it from here? The soil is dry now, so I'm thinking I want to water it. Just wondering why the leaves started looking this way.
Aloinopsis

Re: Help with new echeveria

Post by Aloinopsis »

The plant is etiolated. No matter how much light you give it indoors, that's not enough because no amount of indoor light compares to the kind of hot Baja California desert sunlight it needs all year (even Mexican shade is brighter than European or American windowsills). This is especially true of the glaucous kinds like this, they need the highest light levels.

The leaves look like they have water damage or sun damage of some sort. I would leave them on and let them dry up naturally. Increase the amount of sun this plant gets. If you cannot put it outside in a dry spot, it will need artificial full spectrum lights on a timer in the long-term.

Most garden centers sell these as decorations. Nobody really keeps them for 10 or 20 years in a windowsill. They need a greenhouse or lights to grow healthy long-term. They're not really houseplants.
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

The top of the plant coloured up nicely but some leaves got a sunburn.
As Aloinopsis mention the best course is to put it outside if possible. Introduce it to the outdoor sun slowly. Let it dry then water again.
If keeping indoors is the only option then water much less, keep it dry longer.
cacthis

Post by cacthis »

The plant etiolated due to not enough light. The marking on the leaves are probably due to sunburn. While it needs light, you need to introduce it slowly, since it was coming from dark room. You can try with 1 hour of sunlight per day for one week (rest of the day is in bright shaded/partially shaded area), then increase to two hours next week, and so on.