Uh Oh...what are these spots?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
CephaloSquad

Uh Oh...what are these spots?

Post by CephaloSquad »

Here is an image of the spots in question. Sorry it's as a link. I'm new here and still figuring out the image uploads. I tried to drag and drop into the message, and also tried the attach file button, but it keeps telling me the image is too large. I did try resizing according to the sticky, and tried making it smaller (its roughly 300x400 now), and yet the file is still too large

https://i.redd.it/t5md3uk1nbu21.jpg

What are these spots? They showed up 2 days ago. These spots are brown, almost pinprick sized, and look like they are growing from within the plant rather than on top. They are also forming a slightly raised area over the brown spots. The succulent otherwise appears healthy, the leaves are firm and green, no sign of rot, and new growth is happening at the center. I know that black spots are indicators of overwatering, however I do not beleive I am overwatering, but I could be wrong.

My reasoning for this is that these are brown instead of black. It's been a bit over 2 weeks since my last watering and I let it get dry between waterings. I tested it last night again by sticking a toothpick in and it came out dry, and the drainage hole feels dry. It has been dry for a few days already (toothpick test), so it has been dry since at least a day or two before the spots showed up. Also my potting medium is bonsai jack which is entirely gritty and drains extremely well. And looking at the other echeverias and succs in this arrangement, they all look healthy and show new growths, and none of them show any signs of rot (at least above the bonsai jack, haven't dug up the arrangement to check roots), nor any of these spots or pests. I live in California, it has been warm latley, and the air is not humid. This arrangement is kept indoors by a bright window, and supplemented by a grow light.

I know string of pearls generally take more water, but they have been doing great and putting out A LOT of new pearls despite watering on my echiveria's needs. I have it set so that there is a barrier under the top of the soil around the pearls l so that if I need to I can spot water them without overwatering the other succs, but I haven't needed to so far. So I do not think the water needs of the pearls are affecting this echeveria.

These are just my thoughts, and if you see anything I am doing wrong here please let me know! Thanks