Lithops and Titanopsis seedlings - what to do while on vacation?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
jamesconnolly93

Lithops and Titanopsis seedlings - what to do while on vacation?

Post by jamesconnolly93 »

Help! I have some seedlings ~3 weeks old and I'll be going on vacation for 10 days later this week. What should I do with these little guys? Was considering covering the pots with plastic wrap to make sure they don't dry out, but they're not currently in high humidity so not sure how well that would work out.

Currently planted in 50/50 commercial cactus soil and sand.

Pictures for reference here: https://www.reddit.com/r/succulents/com ... dium=web2x
esp_imaging

Re: Lithops and Titanopsis seedlings - what to do while on vacation?

Post by esp_imaging »

Tricky..
How about: water them well (but not so they are too saturated), keep them cool and part cover them, e.g. a clear lid with a bit of an air gap?
In 10 days they could die of dehydration at this age, or from mould/fungus, but if they are moved somewhere with temperatures around (say) 15deg C range, it shouldn't harm them, even if they don't grow much.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
jamesconnolly93

esp_imaging wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:12 pm Tricky..
How about: water them well (but not so they are too saturated), keep them cool and part cover them, e.g. a clear lid with a bit of an air gap?
In 10 days they could die of dehydration at this age, or from mould/fungus, but if they are moved somewhere with temperatures around (say) 15deg C range, it shouldn't harm them, even if they don't grow much.
Hmm thanks - yeah I was thinking something along these lines might work. I have some small glass panes that could work as "lids" to partially cover the pots. The weather where I live will be cool over the time I'm away, so I'll just set my home thermostat to 15. I guess it's kind of a crapshoot at this point unfortunately, but I'll just have to hope that I can hit the correct balance of keeping them hydrated enough to not dry out while staving off rot.
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

How about selfwatering system? Something like this
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-i ... king-beds/
jamesconnolly93

UPDATE: In case anyone reads this in the future, all seedlings survived my vacation. What I did is bottom water them thoroughly so that the soil was completely saturated and then put a pane of glass over the pots covering ~80% of the surface area. My thinking on this was that it would allow moisture to progressively escape and prevent rot, but also trap some as condensation so they wouldn't dry out completely. FWIW it worked for me :)
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Good to know, thanks for the update.