Pereskiopsis grafting location

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
briancarpenter

Pereskiopsis grafting location

Post by briancarpenter »

I am really happy :D with the growth of my new pereskiopsis. I left them grow some. Most of them were about 4 inches tall when i planted :wink: them, but I think I want to do some grafting now. I was wondering if i graft on the old part or the new. :)
Attachments
PERISK.jpg
PERISK.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
DaveW

Re: Pereskiopsis grafting location

Post by DaveW »

Grafting is always best done on new soft not yet lignified tissue on any stock. If it's seedling grafting the vascular bundle size on the Pereskiopsis also more likely matches the seedlings one.

The following link suggests:-

"Slice the top off the Pereskiopsis, around 1.5cm (½ inch) (down from the top) will usually get you to the place where the diameter is fine. Make sure the cut is plain (level)!"

https://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article7.php
crispy224

Post by crispy224 »

Like the other poster said you want to graft on the newest growth. But the new growth looks too thin. I would wait until you have warm temps where you live where you can bring them outside into natural light and allow the new growth to become thicker.
briancarpenter

Post by briancarpenter »

crispy224 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:32 pm Like the other poster said you want to graft on the newest growth. But the new growth looks too thin. I would wait until you have warm temps where you live where you can bring them outside into natural light and allow the new growth to become thicker.

:) I think your right.......thanks for the info :)
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

From my experience the emerging growing tips take better and grow the scion substantially faster, rather than half way down the stem for example. That should not be confused with a thin stem though. Thin stems at any point, like previous etiolation that recovered on the top will be much more difficult to keep consistently growing. The location of the graft is also impacted of course by how wide the scion will be. It's much easier to ensure the surface area of the rootstock is wider. In the last six months I have been using Parafilm with great success to hold in place.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.