Cholla's not wanting to root

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
BobCt

Cholla's not wanting to root

Post by BobCt »

Does anyone have any experience rooting Cholla cuttings ? I have one that came from Arizona in November and I checked it last week to find out it has no roots yet. Using a 60% pumice/ 40% soil mix. Misting every 2 weeks. Inside temps are 70F at root base. Cutting has held its geometry,color and rigidity. Is the base line soil temp just not warm enough. Watering to frequently has caused other Cholla cuttings to rot. I'm at a loss on this one. Has anyone had success rooting them ??
tumamoc

Re: Cholla's not wanting to root

Post by tumamoc »

Is it a Cholla bud? Try to root when it warms up outside. Just lay it atop some soil, no need to water it until it roots are pushing through. Should last a long time out of the ground
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I think many chollas come from areas with hot summers, and with very little winter rainfall. So they probably dont grow unless it's warm, and also don't like moisture unless it's warm. As spring progresses, it may root spontaneously.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Chollas are adapted to vegetative propagation - pieces get broken off easily, they lie on the ground until the time is right, then they put down roots and grow. When the time is right, it will root.
Spence :mrgreen:
BobCt

Post by BobCt »

Thanks to tumamoc, esp_imaging and greenlight for the replies. The information was well received and allayed my concerns about cultivation anomalies. Many Thanks.