My flowering Cacti 2019

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

Re: My flowering Cacti 2019

Post by hegar »

Going to work later in the morning paid off for me today, because I was able to photograph the vivid red flower of one of my few Echinopsis sp. plants. -The picture was taken a few minutes before 9 a.m.
I do not know the species of this cactus, but most likely it is not a hybrid, because its blossoms are neither especially large nor numerous. Usually people hybridize plants, in order to improve the wild form by either producing a hybrid with larger or fuller flowers or as is the case with for example apples, a larger and more tasty fruit. This cactus flowers less and its blossoms are smaller than those of my Echinopsis eyriesii.

Harald
Echinopsis sp1.JPG
Echinopsis sp1.JPG (131.41 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
Echinopsis sp3.JPG
Echinopsis sp3.JPG (98.54 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
Echinopsis sp4.JPG
Echinopsis sp4.JPG (116.84 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
dinfelu

Post by dinfelu »

hello Harald

It is very beautiful the color of your echinopsis
from what I see a colony has formed
of echinopsis
I imagine what it will look like when everyone is in bloom
regards
🌵 Gabriel
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello dinfelu,
you are of course correct with the statement, that the Echinopsis has been producing pups like crazy. I already have given a few small ones of them away to our local cactus club members, mainly the "newbies". I shall let that plant form a nice clump, like the Echinopsis eyeriesii. For some reason - I believe it to be the odd climate we have had thus far this year - the flowering of several of my cacti has been spotty. There are fewer blossoms and the plants produce flowers several times. That red-flowering Echinopsis did have a decent number of flower buds, but aborted almost all of them. :(

Well, yesterday and today another one of the many Echinocereus spp. cacti did provide me with a bit of happiness by producing six beautiful blossoms! The scientific name of that cactus is Echinocereus berlandieri. The plant grows in a recumbent fashion and looks similar to E. pentalophus. However, its stem has a larger diameter. Also, The flower does not have the yellowish-green throat displayed by E. pentalophus. The unicolored blossom is beautiful nevertheless and of a nice size to boot.

Harald
E_berlandieri1.JPG
E_berlandieri1.JPG (148.57 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
E_berlandieri2.JPG
E_berlandieri2.JPG (88.18 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
E_berlandieri3.JPG
E_berlandieri3.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
E_berlandieri4.JPG
E_berlandieri4.JPG (104.54 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
dinfelu

Post by dinfelu »

=D> =D> =D>

beautiful flowers

regards
🌵 Gabriel
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today's flowering cactus is not one of my favorite ones. However, it is a vigorous grower and for its Ferocactus genus flowers at a very early age.
As you can see, the light yellow blossoms have a tough time squeezing between those super long fish hook spines.

Harald
F_hamatacanthus1.JPG
F_hamatacanthus1.JPG (167.54 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
F_hamatacanthus2.JPG
F_hamatacanthus2.JPG (147.07 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
F_hamatacanthus3.JPG
F_hamatacanthus3.JPG (137.65 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Hello Hegar ...

I didn't think cactus that small would flower.

I wonder what it is that is SO deeply satisfying to use to find something that we have grown bursting into flower?????????????
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

WOW!!!! Those Echinopsis flowers are RED!!!!!
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Wayne,
it is indeed nice to hear from you once again.
You are correct, when you mention, that a tiny cactus with a huge blossom is awe inspiring. I have decided to grow more of these miniature cacti and started to place them in pots, because they are so easy to overlook, plus I have more control over them, e.g. I can place them during the winter months in a dry location. Also, I can use a growing medium, which I prepare especially for them. Good examples of the cacti I am talking about are various members of the genus Turbnincarpus, specifically those always small plants of T. valdezianus and T. pseudopectinatus. I was especially astonished, when a newly purchased T. pseudopectinatus with a single stem only measuring 12 mm in diameter produced a blossom that was 30 cm across.
As far as the red-flowering Echinopsis plant is concerned, I received this cactus as a gift from one of our local cactus club members. While I do love Echinopsis cacti, because of their stunning flowers, I am trying to limit their number, because they do form clumps, which grow quickly into huge masses of multiple stems. I do not have enough space to do those cacti justice.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today's blooming cactus I almost missed. However, even if I had, most likely I would see some blossoms anyway, because I do have three plants and they usually flower repeatedly.
The cactus in question is a native member of the genus Coryphantha, with the scientific name Coryphantha macromeris.

Harald
C_macromeris1.JPG
C_macromeris1.JPG (139.93 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
C_macromeris3.JPG
C_macromeris3.JPG (87.39 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Seeing your garden pictures makes me wish even more I could be someplace where so many varieties grow all year 'round and reach such impressive sizes. I feel I'm lucky to be able to grow a few Opuntia, Echinocereus reichenbachii, and an Escobaria.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hegar

Post by hegar »

After spending a good three weeks in Germany, visiting my 94 year old mother and rest of the family, I returned to my home in El Paso a week ago.
Unfortunately, it was not only unusually hot in Germany - in one place there a record high temperature of 42.5 degrees C (108.5 degrees F) - was recorded. In the region around the northern city of Bremen, where I spent my time, it was not quite that hot, but still rather uncomfortable.
My plants in El Paso also suffered severely from a good number of temperatures above 100 degrees F and not being watered, although it did not rain.
Most of them did pull through however, although some do not look too good. I think, I did lose my Echinocereus knippelianus. It was badly sunburned last year, due to it having been moved to a full-sun location, but seemed to be on the path to recovery. The harsh weather during my absence, i.e. not receiving any water was too much for it. Well, I can always purchase another plant.
We are looking forward to some additional days of above-100-degree-weather with only a very slight chance of rainfall. But I am back now and shall apply water to the thirsty plants.
Despite all the harsh conditions, two cacti did flower today. One of them is my only surviving Mammillaria (M. grahamii) That plant did last bloom on June 18th. The other plants, which produced their small blossoms are Escobaria tuberculosa cacti, which are native to this area.
I am posting images of both of these cacti. The E. tuberculosa only warrants one image. In a few days I should be able to take a picture with several flowers and better light conditions.

Harald
M_grahamii5.JPG
M_grahamii5.JPG (124.19 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
M_grahamii6.JPG
M_grahamii6.JPG (118.87 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
E_tuberculosa7.JPG
E_tuberculosa7.JPG (107.89 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

It's seems like it's been very hot all over, but you are still looking pretty good. The only one of mine that's currently blooming (and has been for weeks) is a M. spinosissima. I still have a slowly developing bud on that seven-year-old E. subinermis aculeatus and two or three more buds on a Pygmaeocereus bylesianus (a third blooming this summer).
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, fanaticactus, this year has been a tough one for my plants, due to he still continuing heat wave. I am pretty convinced, that my biggest cactus, a 9 inch plus diameter Echinopsis bruchii did not produce any buds, because it was just too hot and dry. That plant tried for the first time last year to bloom and had two flower buds. However, those were dropped. I know, the flower should be orange and showy and I had hoped to see this plant in bloom for the first time this year. :( However, not all is lost and I still have some hope for my late-flowering cacti. Perhaps one or more of my Turbinicarpus plants will flower again or the first time this year. Also, some of the Ariocarpus collection might bloom. At least I should be able to admire a few Ariocarpus fissuratus blossoms. A plant, which has been a dependable bloomer is my only Ariocarpus retusus x agavoides. Another one that might try again, after almost making it last year (flower bud never fully opened) is the Ariocarpus retusus ssp. confusus. The Ariocarpus members usually do flower in September at my location. So I shall keep my eyes open for the event. :)

I did take a few more digital images of the always dependable flower producing native cactus Escobaria tuberculosa. The blossoms are rather small, measuring only a little more than 10 mm in diameter. However, that plant flowers repeatedly each year.

Harald
E_tuberculosa10.JPG
E_tuberculosa10.JPG (103.2 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
E_tuberculosa11.JPG
E_tuberculosa11.JPG (136.38 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

It seems like the "dry spell" is over. At least two cacti were in flower today. Both of those are repeat bloomers. The first shown is a Ferocactus hamatacanthus. Compared to other members of that genus I have, this plant seems to be growing faster and it definitely flowers sooner.
The cactus bloomed last almost exactly two months ago and produced one blossom. This time around two flowers were present.
The other cactus is an Astrophytum asterias hybrid. I have killed all my other members of that genus except for that hybrid and Astrophytum capricorne. The plant photographed did grow more quickly than a pure-bred A. asterias, is larger and will most likely grow substantially larger and it does have a slightly raised rib on each segment. The flower, however, is very close to that produced by A. asterias. It seems my horticulture professor long ago was correct, when he talked about "hybrid vigor", because all the true A. asterias plants I ever tried growing succumbed to root rot. These two hybrid plants are not as finicky.

Harald
F_hamatacanthus6.JPG
F_hamatacanthus6.JPG (146.94 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
F_hamatacanthus7.JPG
F_hamatacanthus7.JPG (126.63 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
A_asterias hybrid8.JPG
A_asterias hybrid8.JPG (129.24 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
A_asterias hybrid9.JPG
A_asterias hybrid9.JPG (86.99 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today, yet another of our native cacti did flower. The last time around, on June 30th of this year, it only produced one blossom. This time I was happy to see five! :D
The name of the cactus is Coryphantha macromeris.

Harald
C_macromeris4.JPG
C_macromeris4.JPG (147.78 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
C_macromeris8.JPG
C_macromeris8.JPG (138.92 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
C_macromeris10.JPG
C_macromeris10.JPG (93.1 KiB) Viewed 3215 times