My flowering Cacti 2019

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
keith

Re: My flowering Cacti 2019

Post by keith »

Nice cactus I like them all . :D
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you very much for your nice comment, Keith. I am happy, whenever someone on the forum enjoys looking at my plants.
Today, I asked my wife to get out in the front yard and take a few pictures of a clump of Echinopsis, which is gradually increasing in size. I do not know, if this is a hybrid or an unadulterated species, but it is pretty nevertheless. I do not even recall who gave me the plant. :?
Its flowers are not as large as those produced by my Echinopsis eyriesii, which may indicate, that the plant is not a hybrid.
In addition to this cactus, one of my Echinocactus horizonthalonius plants, a Thelocactus bicolor, a Thelocactus heterochromus, the already mentioned Echinopsis eyriesii, and my lonely Mammillaria grahamii, all did have open flowers today!
So here are a few images of the Echinopsis without a scientific name, except for the genus.

Harald

PS: The last image was taken by me, when I returned home around 6:30 p.m. I am glad, that my wife did a respectable job of photographing this cactus for me, but she is home and I am at work. :)
Red Echinopsis2a.JPG
Red Echinopsis2a.JPG (180.55 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Red Echinopsis6.JPG
Red Echinopsis6.JPG (119.57 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Red Echinopsis5.JPG
Red Echinopsis5.JPG (102.98 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Red Echinopsis10.JPG
Red Echinopsis10.JPG (148.95 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Such spectacular floral displays! If some continue to bloom during the winter months down there, they'll brighten our cold, dull New England winter. Thanks for all the photos.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello fanaticactus,
you are correct with your statement, saying that some cacti have spectacular floral displays. The red Echinopsis and also the white-flowering Echinopsis eyriesii are two of the very few cacti, which even my cactus-hating wife agrees are pretty when in flower. :)
I was actually able to take my own photograph of the red-flowering Echinopsis the next morning, after my wife had done me the favor and tried her hand at it. When I was leaving for work, I noticed, that the blossoms had opened fully once more. So, out came the camera and I obtained two additional nice images.
While we still do have temperatures reaching the 80's during the days, the nighttime lows are now dropping into the 50 to 60 degree zone, i.e. fall is coming and winter will not be too far away. I still do have two Ariocarpus plants, which I am quite certain, will flower this year, perhaps by this weekend. If they should bloom while I am supposed to be at work, I shall take two hours of annual leave, drive home, snap a few pictures and return to work. Of course, I could also take the whole day off, because I still do have a good number of vacation days. Last year I did not take all of my leave and lost about 3 days of accumulated annual leave. I can only carry 240 hours into the new year.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

While my Ariocarpus fissuratus plants are done flowering, finally another one of that genus did bloom. However, I did return home to photograph it a little too late, although I had taken some time off work, so I would be home by 3:30 p.m.. By then, the Ariocarpus retusus x agavoides hybrid was experiencing a little shade and started to close its blossom. Well, here are two images I was still able to capture.

Harald

P.S.: There is only one more cactus, which will most likely still flower this year, unless we do have an unexpected frost. That plant is also a species of Ariocarpus. It will be the first flower, since I put in in the ground in April of 2014.
A_retusus x agavoides5.JPG
A_retusus x agavoides5.JPG (94.86 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

A_retusus x agavoides6.JPG
A_retusus x agavoides6.JPG (82.48 KiB) Viewed 1994 times