Lithops - Question about watering

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Daedalux

Lithops - Question about watering

Post by Daedalux »

Hey there again good people,

I've been struggling a bit on how to water my Lithops, they seem to be on different stages and I abit skeptical on how to water them properly,

Here they are: https://imgur.com/a/fmWzL3s

They seem to be wrinkly on the sides and uneven on the top, but I've been afraid to soak them, they were repotted from their peat-like pot like 3 weeks ago.

Thanks once again for the help and cheers,
mmcavall

Re: Lithops - Question about watering

Post by mmcavall »

I spray my Mesembs with water every night or very early in the morning, before sunrise.
This watering regimen is not common, I know. I tried to follow the traditional recommendations but at the end I've finished developing this system. It is working fine.
Please note I'm Brazil, thus, the winter here is not really cold, and plants do not follow the seasons regularly.
So I hope European members can give you better advice.
Boa sorte!
Daedalux

Post by Daedalux »

Hey there! Yeah, they are pretty weird water wise :D
Will wait for some Euro people to give me some advice on the watering.

Um abraço!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You do have to vary your watering regimen depending on the climate. They do their growing when temperatures are moderate, room temperature suits them just fine. Thus in the tropics they are treated as winter growers, in areas with hot summers and cold winters they grow in spring and fall, but they can grow right through the summer where temperatures are mild. When it's too hot for them to be in active growth they can be given that daily misting, in imitation of the dew they'd receive in the wild, to help keep the roots alive.

I'm not in Europe, but the climate here is similar - to Northern Europe, not Portugal. :lol:
Spence :mrgreen: