Viewing roots

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Viewing roots

Post by WayneByerly »

In the necessity of looking at the roots of a cactus (why is not significant for this topic) I have had to decant several of them this season. When I was at the grocery store the other day I found this glass pot and it made me think of that. So I brought it home and drilled a hole in the bottom of it (special drill bit required).
20180605_182228-1024x768.jpg
20180605_182228-1024x768.jpg (71.06 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
I thought it would be a great idea for being able to look at the roots while they were growing. But then I wondered if the direct sun would be bad for the roots. Anybody have any comments about this wild idea?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: Viewing roots

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello wayne
While it might look good for a while, it's gonna start forming lots of algae at the sides of the glass which may become very unsightly.
You can maybe wrap it in newspaper and remove the paper whenever you wanna look?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:29 am ... maybe wrap it in newspaper and remove the paper whenever you wanna look?
Hi Elie... knew I could rely on you for a good suggestion...

Or maybe drop it in a pot big enough to hold it, closing off the top with something opaque and easy to remove (felt maybe?) to to keep the inner pot in the dark.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

I agree with Elie, the problem would be algae Wayne. Having a little experience, just a tad, with orchids, which are usually sold in transparent pots, they have to be placed in another pot, a dark and opaque one, for that reason. But I like the idea overall, and it could prove to be of great use!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb